Laparoscopy qualified vets in Long Beach north OC county.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I'm figuring this is not well known info I'm seeking for a friend. So I will bump this alot before it gets buried to far.

He has several radiated tortoises he is seeking to be sexed. To many times vets are all too happy to "try that" for their on edification. That's not okay.

If you know of a vet that has actually done this and is geographically relevant, please let me know.

BTW the Vet list as much work as it shows is getting long in tooth.

Last edited by a moderator:

zovick

10 Year Member!
Since I have been having my tortoises endoscoped for gender determination since 2008, I am frequently asked if I know of any veterinarians in given locales who can do the procedure. One way to find a qualified one is to visit the Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians' web site. On the far right at the top of the home page is a section titled "Find a Vet". Here is a link to that part of the site: http://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

One would hope that calling the vets found via that search method would yield some positive results. Also I would say that any vet who does not feel comfortable doing the procedure would most likely refer the caller to a colleague who does it routinely rather than attempt it himself for "practice".

Another good option is to call any veterinary schools in your state or area to see if their exotics department has a veterinarian who does endoscopy or can recommend a private practice vet in the area who does it.

One final note: the veterinarian whom I use is Dr. Stephen Divers from the UGA Vet School. He literally "wrote the book" on this procedure in chelonians. After doing nearly 200 Radiated Tortoises for me over the years, he now recommends that Radiated Tortoises be both AT LEAST ten (10) months of age and weigh AT LEAST 110 grams before having this procedure done for the results to be accurate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . .BTW the Vet list as much work as it shows is getting long in tooth.

I'm not real sure what you mean by this. We add or delete vets to and from the list according to what our members tell us. If you know something that needs to be deleted, you need to tell a moderator so we can take care of it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Most of the state threads were last updated over 6 years ago. I am reasonable sure those lists was taken from somewhere else. I do not think that other source, whatever it may be, is accurate any longer.

The link BZ references is constantly being edited.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you. The only edits we do are when members give us info. Six years ago one of our members called around to all the vets we eventually showed on the list and asked if they took care of turtles and tortoises. If they said yes, they were put on the list. We knew and know nothing about the vets listed. Several have been removed because members were kind enough to let us know they either don't know turtles and tortoises or are no longer in business. With as many members as we have, keeping the list updated should be an easy task, however, we get very little feedback from members.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Since you say you've checked Orange county, you've probably already checked with exotic veterinarian Tom Greek, in Yorba Linda--as north as north Orange County gets!

If he can't do it, perhaps he has a legitimate reference. Good luck!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Since you say you've checked Orange county, you've probably already checked with exotic veterinarian Tom Greek, in Yorba Linda--as north as north Orange County gets!

If he can't do it, perhaps he has a legitimate reference. Good luck!

Thanks, I missed him, I don't know the city names in that area so well. I've made an inquiry.

I think I've heard him speak at some conference long ago, maybe a NCHS annual conference??

I guess that is another good thing about http://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661 you can search by Zip code.

These are the vets within 20 miles of Long Beach listed at ARAV website, Tom Greek is not a member, so again thanks much for the look-out.

Ann Murata
3511 Pacific Coast Hwy
Ste A
Torrance
California
90505-6662
United States
(310) 325-3000

Walter Rosskopf
4871 W Rosecrans Ave
Hawthorne
California
90250-6613
United States
(310) 679-0693

Michelle Jack
578 Washington Blvd.#306
Marina del Rey
California
United States
323-591-4838

Tia Greenberg
6621 Westminster Blvd
Westminster
California
92683-3704
United States
(714) 899-1100

Laila Proenca
1900 S Sepulveda Blvd
Los Angeles
California
90025-5620
United States
(424)465-3278

Gregory Scott
2421 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica
California
90403-5805
United States
310-828-4587

zovick

10 Year Member!
Dr. Laila Proenca did an exotics residency under Dr. Divers at UGA. I know her personally and can tell you she is both experienced and qualified to do endoscopic gender determination. In fact, she has done some of the animals I took to UGA during that residency.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thanks, I missed him, I don't know the city names in that area so well. I've made an inquiry.

I think I've heard him speak at some conference long ago, maybe a NCHS annual conference??

I guess that is another good thing about http://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661 you can search by Zip code.

These are the vets within 20 miles of Long Beach listed at ARAV website, Tom Greek is not a member, so again thanks much for the look-out.

Here is a link to an article I think he wrote for Reptiles Magazine? http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Get-The-Most-Out-of-Your-Next-Reptile-Vet-Visit/

I mentions endoscopy for sexing but not laparoscopy. He refers to ARAV in the article as well.

Hope he can help you!