large 8 yr old sulcata sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pomona California
I just recently took my large sulcata for a check up. He is a large 77 pound 8yr old male. He seems happy and is eating just fine and he is also very active. But I did notice a whistling sound when he would breathe. The vet took xrays and said that there is a mild haze on the lungs. He said The tortoise might be developing something. And he put him on antibiotics for 2 weeks. I am taking him to another vet next week for further testing. Now im just super worried. Any advice?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep him warm. Don't let temps go below 85 day and night and keep him hydrated. Warm soaks if he's not drinking.

Bee62

Germany
Hello. :)
How do you keep your tortoise ? When he might developing something he will need more warmth and higher humidity to recover now.
Do you can keep him inside, warm and humid ? I know it is difficult with a big tortoise but roaming outdoor in cold weather is not good for him now.

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Pomona California
Hello. :)
How do you keep your tortoise ? When he might developing something he will need more warmth and higher humidity to recover now.
Do you can keep him inside, warm and humid ? I know it is difficult with a big tortoise but roaming outdoor in cold weather is not good for him now.
Hello, he has a pen outside, and he also has a shed with heat lights. Is it nesessary to keep him inside even tho its a sunny day? What can i do for humidity? Thank you

Bee62

Germany
Hello, he has a pen outside, and he also has a shed with heat lights. Is it nesessary to keep him inside even tho its a sunny day? What can i do for humidity? Thank you
How warm it is outside on a warm day ? Does he go in his heated shed in the evening when it is getting colder ?
You can keep his night shed humid but the night temps should not drop below 85 F.

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Pomona California
How warm it is outside on a warm day ? Does he go in his heated shed in the evening when it is getting colder ?
You can keep his night shed humid but the night temps should not drop below 85 F.
Today was about 90 degrees. And yes around 5 pm he starts going into his shed.

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Pomona California
Okay, that is warm enough outside for him. I can`t understand why he could get sick in this temps.
I dont understand either. Ive had him for 7 yrs and ive never had a problem with him. That is why i am taking him with a more experienced vet for further testing. I hope that what ever it is we caught it early enough for him to make a full recovery. Thank you for your advice.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I dont understand either. Ive had him for 7 yrs and ive never had a problem with him. That is why i am taking him with a more experienced vet for further testing. I hope that what ever it is we caught it early enough for him to make a full recovery. Thank you for your advice.
What is the temperature in the shed? It's been getting down in the 50s at night. There might not be enough heat in his house. What are you using for heat? What kind of door do you have?

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Pomona California
What is the temperature in the shed? It's been getting down in the 50s at night. There might not be enough heat in his house. What are you using for heat? What kind of door do you have?
The inside of his house is covered with refletive insulation and i have a 150 wat infared heat light. Im not sure of the exact temp inside, but its pretty warm. He also has a woden door so that the heat doest escape. I have use this same set up for years and it hasn't been a problem.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
The inside of his house is covered with refletive insulation and i have a 150 wat infared heat light. Im not sure of the exact temp inside, but its pretty warm. He also has a woden door so that the heat doest escape. I have use this same set up for years and it hasn't been a problem.
If he is big, a heat light might be too small for him. It might heat only the area directly below the light so your tortoise can get cold in the areas away from the light. My weather is similar to yours, I have a lot more heat in my tortoise house, and it just barely keeps it up to 80F on cold nights. If I were you, I would get a sensor and test the temperature inside in the middle of the night.

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Pomona California
If he is big, a heat light might be too small for him. It might heat only the area directly below the light so your tortoise can get cold in the areas away from the light. My weather is similar to yours, I have a lot more heat in my tortoise house, and it just barely keeps it up to 80F on cold nights. If I were you, I would get a sensor and test the temperature inside in the middle of the night.
Yeah i think he might be too big. I already ordered a kane heating mat and i will be putting a small heater inside his house. Thank you for the info[emoji4]

Goggie543

Doncaster
I just recently took my large sulcata for a check up. He is a large 77 pound 8yr old male. He seems happy and is eating just fine and he is also very active. But I did notice a whistling sound when he would breathe. The vet took xrays and said that there is a mild haze on the lungs. He said The tortoise might be developing something. And he put him on antibiotics for 2 weeks. I am taking him to another vet next week for further testing. Now im just super worried. Any advice?
A guy on this forum said sulcatas are from a tropical environment and that the humidity has to play a part maybe introduce this if you can. Humidifier???

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
A guy on this forum said sulcatas are from a tropical environment and that the humidity has to play a part maybe introduce this if you can. Humidifier???
Grassland, not tropical. They are hatched during monsoon season during very wet conditions. Babies and younger sulcatas survive in deep, humid burrows. They are found mostly in the outer rim of the Sahara desert.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a pretty old thread. Haven't seen the original poster in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.