Large Male, Small Female - Mating Behavior in Redfoots

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Over the past few months my redfoot herd has grown as I have been trying to add some females to eventually be girlfriends for my very amorous male, Vern.

Vern is 9 years old, 12in and weighs about 11lbs. He humps just about everything he can catch a hold on, though he usually isn't copulating successfully (his boy parts usually are only out for a minute and there's not usually any....evidence.) He seems content to just mount things and put on a show for my guests.

My question: I have Rambo, she is 7.5in, 4.5lbs and about 6 years old and she adores Vern. Indoors or out she loves to be near him and from time to time he tries to mount her while she happily just crawls along eating her dinner or stares off into space without trying to escape, if shes not having it she just walks away into one of her 'small' hides that are intended to prevent Vern from pursuing her. I am afraid that because she is so much smaller that if he actually makes contact instead of just mounting her that he may injure her. Is this valid?

Should I separate them (they are separate when not being observed right now anyway) or should I leave them be while they are doing their thing since she seems receptive to his advances? Currently I don't have any intentions of breeding or incubating eggs or anything like that.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
How big is Rambo's cloaca? Should be able to fit a ping pong ball, then, you know she can safely pass eggs. Since Vern is a horn dog, make sure that ther are enough hiding spot, blind spots do Vern can't see her so easily. His attention may start stressing Rambo out and cause health issues.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
We've been very attentive about giving her a lot of hiding places that he just can't fit into and that's where she usually sleeps. Sometimes though she'll go into one of his boxes and 'block' him in for the night, until the lights turn on and he just pushes her out of the way for breakfast.

The thing about Vern is that I don't think he cares WHAT he is humping. He doesn't pursue her, but if shes there then she'll do. I think she is probably still a bit small to pass eggs. She's somewhat petite and I haven't had her long enough to feel confident about her having high enough calcium levels to produce eggs.

I think I'll continue to pull Vern off of her and give him a blanket or an old shoe or whatever he would like instead. I've seen his junk and it is terrifying and impressive...and probably as long as Rambo.

He gets especially expressive around 1:25