Large Male Sulcata not eating

Kirby

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello, I am looking for some advice. I have owned Sulcatas for a long time. We lived in Texas and they stayed outside almost all the time. We now live in Virginia and they have had to come inside for winter. My 20 year old, large, male (Kirby) is over 100 pounds and is very unhappy with the change of being inside. His set up has everything he needs (large, correct lighting, correct temps, bedded in timothy, etc). However, he has not been interested in eating at all! Hes eaten maybe 2 times in the past 2 weeks and is going to the bathroom very little too. Hes acting fine and doesnt look sick at all but obviously Im worried. When hes outside he eats non stop. Any advice or things to try? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How long ago did this move take place? Tortoises really don't like change. They 'sulk' for quite a while after a big move to a new location. Just make sure he's warm enough - you may need more than one light/heat source, maybe even a room heater. A lot of us use the electric oil-filled radiator type heaters, then build a little box around it to protect it from the tortoise.

I know it's pretty cold there in the winter, but if you could somehow fix it so he's able to go outside on his own and see for himself why he's cooped up, it may help. We have a member who lives in that area and his sulcata has a big heated house with vinyl strip door. The tortoise goes in and out on his own, even when its snowing. Take a look here:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/why-i-never-complain-about-summer-heat.158969/

Kirby

Virginia
He spent all summer in my yard here in Virginia. I moved him indoors a few weeks ago, when the cold night got to be too cold. I just the temp everyday and its plenty warm. Oddly enough he always seems to be away from the lights so I dont think he wants it any warmer. :( Im not sure how I could get him a spot to go in and outside since my house has stairs at each entrance. How long can he go without eating? He wont starve himself?? He wont even eat strawberries and normally he chases me for them! Hes large and healthy but this cant be good, right? Should I try soaking him? I mean hes 110 pounds so that would be interesting but would that help perk him up at all? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Good" doesn't tell us what we need to know. What are his temperatures? What is the air temp in the room and more importantly, what is the floor temp? What kind of heat are you using?

Soaking is always a good idea.