Large Sulcata Fence

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
IMG_4833.JPG IMG_4834.JPG IMG_4835.JPG
Ok so I hope this helps. Photo 1 is the back of the stacked blocks. The lip has to hang over and fit snugly against the one under it. It causes them to be staggered in an over hanging way. Like an upside down stair case. The next 2 photos are of a block from the side. I'm pointing to the lip and you can see the size of it. It's not huge but enough to hold any horizontal pressure. But if there is some lifting and pushing then the block could be moved.
Let me know if my explanation isn't clear or you have more questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keep in mind that once you've given the yard over to the tortoise, you should never allow him outside of it. If they know there's more to the world on the other side of the fence, they won't be happy until they've gotten out.

I use boards. Here's my sulcata yard:

Dudley's track 10-8-14.jpg

I used to have the yard divided into three sections, so that I could water two while he was on one. But as soon as I opened the gate and allowed him to the next section, he just kept after that gate and after that gate until he wrecked it. So I removed all the gates and just let him have the whole yard. The fence you see in the right of the picture doesn't fence anything off. It's open on this end. I left it there so he would have to walk around it to get out into the rest of the yard. . . exercise and sight barrier.
Dudley's waterer 3-12-14.jpg
and this is what it looks like today. He's finally succeeded in knocking it down completely.
Dudley's yard 9-4-18 a.jpg

If you look closely, you can see him sitting in his doorway surveying his kingdom:

Dudley's yard 9-4-18 b.jpg

Dudley has never been allowed outside his yard, so he doesn't ever try to knock down the perimeter fences. Far as he knows, he now has access to the whole world.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Keep in mind that once you've given the yard over to the tortoise, you should never allow him outside of it. If they know there's more to the world on the other side of the fence, they won't be happy until they've gotten out.

View attachment 250501

I used to have the yard divided into three sections, so that I could water two while he was on one. But as soon as I opened the gate and allowed him to the next section, he just kept after that gate and after that gate until he wrecked it. So I removed all the gates and just let him have the whole yard. The fence you see in the right of the picture doesn't fence anything off. It's open on this end. I left it there so he would have to walk around it to get out into the rest of the yard. . . exercise and sight barrier.
View attachment 250502
and this is what it looks like today. He's finally succeeded in knocking it down completely.
View attachment 250503

If you look closely, you can see him sitting in his doorway surveying his kingdom:

View attachment 250504

Dudley has never been allowed outside his yard, so he doesn't ever try to knock down the perimeter fences. Far as he knows, he now has access to the whole world.

THANK YOU!! I see your point. My horses were like that too . Some animals are too smart for their own good!

ColaCarbonaria

Pensacola, Florida
This keeps th sulcata out.... I tamped th foundation w sand and paverbase and I did use glue. From Lowe’s.
IMG_4367.jpg
Full disclosure it needs another row on top though, at 60 pds he could get over it if he wanted too...

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
This keeps th sulcata out.... I tamped th foundation w sand and paverbase and I did use glue. From Lowe’s.
View attachment 250814
Full disclosure it needs another row on top though, at 60 pds he could get over it if he wanted too...

Right!! I thought 20” might not be enough... thank you!

SULCY

NEW YORK
I would use the glue once set you can not move the blocks better than cement.

Kaeloni

Montana

View attachment 250501

View attachment 250502
View attachment 250503

View attachment 250504

I’m so glad that I saw this. We would’ve made a huge mistake. We thought we could let our big guy out into the bigger fenced in yard for a few hours a day. I will definitely not be doing that now. We will just make his area bigger before he arrives. Thanks Yvonne!

Kaliman1962

This is mine, i have 3 baby Leopards, this should last 4-5 years? but the ledges are on the outside , so they can't climb the wall

Attachments

• IMG_8361.JPG
    IMG_8361.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8365.JPG
    IMG_8365.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 28