Large Sulcata Perimeter Fencing Ideas

DarkerGraphic

10 Year Member!
Hi all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted as I’ve now had my 3 males for over 20 years (acquired as hatchlings; 2 reliably get along well together, 1 occasionally has to be separated).

I’m going to be moving soon and will temporarily be relocating them to my mother-in-law’s who has a large chain link fenced yard. I can’t give them the full run of it so am going to section off an area for them as a temporary pen for a few months. It’s in northern Florida so I’m less concerned about winter temps though will be setting up heated hides.

My ask is suggestions on cheap but sturdy temporary perimeter fencing. They’re use to cinder block, metal, or pvc fencing, but those aren’t practical for the temporary set up. I’ve considered wood, but am open to other options. I’ve used flashing once in the past. Also (in case you ask) I can’t relocate their current set up because it’s about 1K miles away and they currently have the full run of our yard.

Any thoughts/suggestions from others with experience with larger sulcatas would be greatly appreciated.

My boys are approx. 85, 100, 120 lbs respectively.

Thanks,
Rick

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted as I’ve now had my 3 males for over 20 years (acquired as hatchlings; 2 reliably get along well together, 1 occasionally has to be separated).

I’m going to be moving soon and will temporarily be relocating them to my mother-in-law’s who has a large chain link fenced yard. I can’t give them the full run of it so am going to section off an area for them as a temporary pen for a few months. It’s in northern Florida so I’m less concerned about winter temps though will be setting up heated hides.

My ask is suggestions on cheap but sturdy temporary perimeter fencing. They’re use to cinder block, metal, or pvc fencing, but those aren’t practical for the temporary set up. I’ve considered wood, but am open to other options. I’ve used flashing once in the past. Also (in case you ask) I can’t relocate their current set up because it’s about 1K miles away and they currently have the full run of our yard.

Any thoughts/suggestions from others with experience with larger sulcatas would be greatly appreciated.

My boys are approx. 85, 100, 120 lbs respectively.

Thanks,
Rick
Hi Rick. Other than K rails, I don't know what you'd use that would be temporary, but still sturdy enough. When moved to a new area, its very likely that they will "challenge the walls, even if they don't where they are now.

I think you need 4x4 pressure treated posts cut in half to make 4 foot sections. Then put two feet in the ground and two feet above ground on either 8 or 10 foot centers. Then attach a couple of rows of 2x12 between posts. This will be fairly easy to unscrew and remove when the time comes and it will hold your beasts.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have a hard time explaining things using the keyboard but let me try. Since what you want to do is temporary I would use 2x12s capped with either 1x4 or 1x6 boards. capping the 2x12s will make it so they can't climb up and over. I would us galvanized electrical conduit cut to the desired length driven into the ground to secure the 2x12 walls in place. some on the inside and some on the outside. The conduit is less than 3 dollars for each 10 ft length up here. I have an adult male sulcata a little bigger(150 lbs) than yours and he has never gone over a uncapped 2x12 that I us to keep him out of certain areas, but by capping yours even if one climbed onto another it most likely couldn't get over the wall.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Wood works well I agree 2 2x12 would be best but it’s not cheep. I don’t know if a cheep fencing option that will keep them in for sure. Cinder block might be the easiest to remove when you are done but like Tom said they may challenge the walls in a new yard. If you can use the chain link for some of your pen putting plywood along the bottom can work well

DarkerGraphic

10 Year Member!
Hi Rick. Other than K rails, I don't know what you'd use that would be temporary, but still sturdy enough. When moved to a new area, its very likely that they will "challenge the walls, even if they don't where they are now.

I think you need 4x4 pressure treated posts cut in half to make 4 foot sections. Then put two feet in the ground and two feet above ground on either 8 or 10 foot centers. Then attach a couple of rows of 2x12 between posts. This will be fairly easy to unscrew and remove when the time comes and it will hold your beasts.
Thanks, I hadn’t thought of K rails before, but will look into them since in theory I could move them with them to their permanent location in the future.

DarkerGraphic

10 Year Member!
I have a hard time explaining things using the keyboard but let me try. Since what you want to do is temporary I would use 2x12s capped with either 1x4 or 1x6 boards. capping the 2x12s will make it so they can't climb up and over. I would us galvanized electrical conduit cut to the desired length driven into the ground to secure the 2x12 walls in place. some on the inside and some on the outside. The conduit is less than 3 dollars for each 10 ft length up here. I have an adult male sulcata a little bigger(150 lbs) than yours and he has never gone over a uncapped 2x12 that I us to keep him out of certain areas, but by capping yours even if one climbed onto another it most likely couldn't get over the wall.
How do you attach the wood to the conduit? Did you have to predrill?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
How attractive does it have to be? Cause you would still needs some 4x4’s for posts, but what about doors as fence panels? Craigslist is full of the for cheap and the average door is 32”x80”. Just a thought

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
How do you attach the wood to the conduit? Did you have to predrill?
You really don't need to. Put one one on the outside and one on the inside at various spots to lock the boards in place. But if you wanted to you could drive some self tapping screws through the conduit into the 2x12s with a screw gun or drill.