Last female Yangtze giant softshell turtle dies

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201904/14/WS5cb2f799a3104842260b617a.html

China's last female Yangtze giant softshell turtle.IMG_4243.jpg
China's last female Yangtze giant softshell turtle (Rafetus swinhoei) died on Saturday after an artificial insemination at the Suzhou Zoo in East China's Jiangsu province. Now, only three remain in the world.

An international research team carried out the fifth artificial insemination for the female turtle on Friday, but the animal did not recover from the procedure, even though researchers spent hours trying to save its life.

The dead female turtle is believed to be over 90 years old; Suzhou Zoo's male turtle is over 100 years old.

After the death, only three such animals remain in the world: One in the Suzhou Zoo, one in Dong Mo Lake west of Hanoi and one in Xuan Khanh Lake in Hanoi's outskirts.

The Yangtze giant softshell turtle is one of the world's largest known freshwater turtle species, and one of the world's 50 most threatened turtles.

China's last female Yangtze giant softshell turtle.IMG_4244.jpg

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201904/14/WS5cb2f799a3104842260b617a.html

China's last female Yangtze giant softshell turtle.View attachment 269788
China's last female Yangtze giant softshell turtle (Rafetus swinhoei) died on Saturday after an artificial insemination at the Suzhou Zoo in East China's Jiangsu province. Now, only three remain in the world.

An international research team carried out the fifth artificial insemination for the female turtle on Friday, but the animal did not recover from the procedure, even though researchers spent hours trying to save its life.

The dead female turtle is believed to be over 90 years old; Suzhou Zoo's male turtle is over 100 years old.

After the death, only three such animals remain in the world: One in the Suzhou Zoo, one in Dong Mo Lake west of Hanoi and one in Xuan Khanh Lake in Hanoi's outskirts.

The Yangtze giant softshell turtle is one of the world's largest known freshwater turtle species, and one of the world's 50 most threatened turtles.

China's last female Yangtze giant softshell turtle.View attachment 269789
They are going extinct because of humans right? This is why I hate being a human sometimes.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
"the animal did not recover from the procedure, even though researchers spent hours trying to save its life."
I did not realize that artificial insemination was such a traumatic procedure.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
"the animal did not recover from the procedure, even though researchers spent hours trying to save its life."

My first thought was possibly complications from anesthesia.

Lunaqua

5 Year Member
Virginia

Due to the animals sheer strength, it must be done under anesthesia.