Last Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Okay, sorry but I have to know. What exactly should a RT poop look like and how often should they "go".

Our gecko and beardie have the white urate with black section (looks like a dried up inch worm). Our corn snake of course was a whole other matter.

So far no sign he's gone unless it is a clearish liquid I am not seeing/smelling.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ummm this is sorta hard to describe...maybe a chubby little tootsie roll, firm, yet soft. Color can change, like with any animal, dependent on what your feeding. How often is dependent on things like how much he eats, how well he is processing what he is using.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Thank you. That gives me a good idea;)

I need to get a sample in to the vet so I needed to know what I am looking for (snakes have issues with regurgitaion-which can look scary compared to their poo) Do RT have regurge issues?

Thank you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Not as often as snakes, but yes you will occasionally hear somebody talk about a tort regurgitating. I myself have never saw one do it. It's also usually more serious then it is with a snake.

One way often to get them to donate a sample, is to give them a warm soak in a rubbermaid type container. Lukewarm water up to their necks. Some torts really hate this, some seem to enjoy it. This is also used by many folks once a week or so, just to make sure their tortoise is staying hydrated. Also often with an animal not eating it helps to warm them and stimulate them into eating.

Another thing that works for some...more so it seems the larger tortoises, is to take them for a car ride...lol.

Nice thing about stool samples is you can scoop them up into a plastic baggie and place in a frig until your able to get to the vet. Seems around here the animals offer their samples or get sick when the Vet's office is closed.:(:rolleyes: Also you can take a sample in and drop it off at anytime, not just with a checkup appointment, which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.