Late hibernation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebecca

5 Year Member
I got my horse field tortoise last June. He/she is roughly 3 years old. When I first got him he wouldn't eat and wanted to sleep all the time. I contacted the place where I got him and was informed it was a summer hibernation. After a couple of weeks he did start eating and everything was fine. He has now stopped eating again. He has had only a small amount of food in last week but seems to be just as active as normal. Any suggestions on how I can encourage him to eat? Nearest reptile vet is 30 miles away and he gets stressed out in car so don't want to put him through trauma if this is a normal thing for some tortoises. Thank you for any help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi rebecca:

(Is your name Rebecca?)

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

No, its not normal for a Russian tortoise to want to hibernate this time of year. If I were you, I'd re-read the Russian Tortoise Care sheet at russiantortoise.org and make any adjustments or tweeks that your habitat requires. I'm only guessing, but I'm thinking he's not warm enough.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I too suspect the temperatures aren't quite right.

Please would you tell us what temp you have in the 4 important places?
1. Cool end
2. Warm end
3. Under the basking lamp
4. Overnight minimum

While your tort isn't eating properly, you should soak daily for a good 20 minutes to ensure hydration. A link to my soaking tips is in my sig below

rebecca

5 Year Member
Sorry I'm new to this forum and think I may have posted same thread twice!

He is in a table top open box with uv strip bulb and basking lamp with shaded bedroom compartment. He is bathed daily and his lamps are left on for 12-13 hours per day.

Under basking lamp is 33-35c, coolest spot is 23-25c. He is in living room so coldest he could get at night is 12-15c.

Status
Not open for further replies.