Lawns- sprays or solid fertilizers?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I went to lawn forums last year when I got my lawn robots.........I read a lot so of course while I was there, I read a lot of different stuff on lawn care. A lot I hadn't known before but it was also overwhelming with so many options......but there's always opportunity with "options"....

Anyone that has gone to the local Home Depot or Lowes store to buy lawn care products knows that the costs have skyrocketed. The same 3 part "grey bag 16-0-0" I bought for Kerry's and my lawn in Oct for $52, is now $76.99. Lime has suddenly become a precious commodity! No, I'm not ranting on inflation.....I am a "work around guy" so to find a solution to that BS, I decided to try sprays this year for both lawns. This is all "new territory" for me but we're giving it a shot. My daughter had given me a Ryobi battery soldering iron last year so I bought the 4 gal backpack sprayer for 120 bucks by itself, use the monster 5.4ah battery she got me and I'm golden. and it will do both lawns w/o even dropping one bar on the battery! Sweet! All-up weight with 4 gal is around 50 lbs, I use 3 gallons cause it doesn't hurt so much the next day....(yeah it stinks) but how many 64 yr old guys do you know that strap-up with 50lbs when they get home from work and go for a walk, for 3 miles? Superman stuff, I'm telling you....lol

I do #'s for a living so for me, this is how I see it;
Ikes 2.5 gal of 18-6-6 concentrate does 48,000SF or both yards, 2 times- cost 40 bucks x 2 =80 bucks delivered
Calsil(lime) 2.5 gallons does the same- cost 68 bucks x 2 = 136 bucks delivered
Weed pre-emergent Prodiamine- does both lawns all season- 25 bucks delivered
Weed killer as required-(trying to find one that works)- 32 bucks delivered
Castol oil, mostly for her lawn...voles & moles 1 gallon does both lawns all season- 35 bucks delivered

I also assume that I will have to spray the lawns very 4-6 weeks or 4 or 5 treatments for each lawn, it's the downside of sprays....they don't last.

So, for 300 bucks or so, it's half the cost of both lawns last summer when I used solids, not even taking into consideration what the cost of using those products today would be!

I do know that with solids, Kerry, who bought a house in the woods with a long neglected lawn, has a very nice lawn in her new home, one that survived the winter! My lawn did ok but in truth, I put most of my efforts over there last year b/c she was basically starting from a "lawn" of sand. LOL

My lawn recedes on the edges as it degrades, exposing Jose's and Hose B's guide wires so it's more apparent to me now than before they moved in. I mixed EVERYTHING together(after confirming compatibility) and had at it.......I gave those areas an extra dose but I did both lawns in the past week and it's raining now for a couple days so we'll see.

You know what really sucks? Last year, after taping my old drop spreader together with pieces of wood for the handle, tie-wire for the control.....I broke down and bought a new one.....and now it sits.....LOL

That's the sum of my knowledge for this stuff....but I was bored this morning and Matilda didn't want to play.....morning.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Or you could spend nothing and not put toxic chemicals all over your tortoise's food growing plots...

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Or you could spend nothing and not put toxic chemicals all over your tortoise's food growing plots...
LOL....well Tom, if I kept anyone in the yard, it might be a concern.......It also would be pretty idiotic imho.

I'm an Easterner, I like nice grass......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LOL....well Tom, if I kept anyone in the yard, it might be a concern.......It also would be pretty idiotic imho.

I'm an Easterner, I like nice grass......
Westerners like nice grass too. I have a lovely yard. I just don't put toxic chemicals on it. I also don't keep any tortoises in the yard, but I do pick weeds and cut grass from there to feed them.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Sprays or solids got; "you are poisoning the earth"....lol, more or less......

This is obviously a subject not very popular here and I'm fine with that.................but we respectfully, disagree.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sprays or solids got; "you are poisoning the earth"....lol, more or less......

This is obviously a subject not very popular here and I'm fine with that.................but we respectfully, disagree.
I'm no tree hugger man. I'm not talking about poisoning the earth. I'm talking about not poisoning my own tortoises, or rather not poisoning an excellent source of the best tortoise food there is.

I frequently say: If you are going to be a tortoise keeper, you better learn to be a farmer too.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
No lawn fertilizers or herbicides here on our little plot. Right now I’m in the early stages of dandelion blossom harvest. So far the crop is good. We need a few more warm sunny days. In addition to dandelions, we have lots of grass, mixed weeds, plantain. Later on, Rose of Sharon & Muscat Grape leaves. The only thing we do fight are the darn Japanese beetles….🤷‍♂️ they target the grapes & our roses & sunflowers. Lots of hand picking & drowning going on here.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
So far the crop is good. We need a few more warm sunny days. In addition to dandelions, we have lots of grass, mixed weeds, plantain.

LOL, so am I! I think the first 10 drops of the biblical rains we've had over the past week, rinsed the weed killer off then the fertilizer drove them into overdrive! My best crop of weeds in years!

We haven't got the Japanese beetles up here in Pasadena that you guys have had for the past few years. Funny how they spread....Kerry moved 8 miles from her old house ...she had them at old house, not at new house.

Life teaches us lessons, whether we're at class, or not!