Leaf litter & edible plants?

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Where can I get safe leaf litter and what are safe edible potted plants for my boxies enclosure?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
"Leaf litter" is just a heap of fallen leaves. People who have yards with trees just rake them up to use. I guess apartment dwellers or people with no trees in their yards must contact friends and family who have trees. To the best of my knowledge it's not something you can buy in stores.

Safe potted plants is a challenge. Many of us grow our own plants from seed. Lots of people also buy potted plants from the stores, but repot them into safer organic potting soil for a few months to try and eliminate pesticides. I have also gotten cuttings and baby plants from friends and potted them so they could get a little growth before putting them in my tort's enclosure.

I hope this helps!

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Ok I just wanted to make sure it would be ok to use the leaves from the yard.

Do you by chance know what kind of seeds are safe to use?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here's a great site for safe plants. I just use some tropical plants from home depot. I take them out of the little pot, and rinse off the roots and plant, and replant them with new soil. Mine never eat the plants anyway, just hide under them. I go in the woods and cut off a few branches from trees in the Summer and let them dry out. In the Fall I gather leaves from the yard and save a few extra bags in the garage so I always have some.
I use this site for my Cherry Heads, and my box turtles all the time.
http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone I just worry and want to make sure I do right by her, she is a rescue and came form horrible situation. So I just want her to be healthy and happy.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
She is a beauty! Remember to NOT use any leaves from china berry trees and such. I'm like terryo. When the leaves start to change, go to a neihborhood and ask if you can rake up some leaves. I am pretty sure nobody will tell you no, lol.