Leafy greens vs pellet food

Seshaw2

Hi all!
My Tortasaurus Rex seems to prefer pellet food over fresh greens. He will eat greens when I hand feed him but he seems to only eat his pellet food when left to his own devices. He is around 10, I have had him for 6months, and the previous owner fed him both pellets and greens. Of course I read on here not to hand feed and they will eat when hungry but when I was limiting his pellet food he had lost some weight... not sure what the best approach should be or if the pellet food is ok?
Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What type of pellets?

Best to get them eating mostly weeds and leaves of the right type. Use the pellets as a supplement. You can also soak your pellets and then mix them all up with the greens.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You're not alone. My tortoises. In fact, I think MOST tortoises will choose to not eat anything but pellets if given the chance.
Some will go on a mini hunger strike and not eat anything else.....
But rest assured. This will pass and they will eat greens also. (When they get good and hungry.)
Then give a little less of the pellet food so that you can arrive at a happy balance.

Nisi

New York
I wish my Juggalo would eat some mazuri.. he only will eat his grass and greens. He's a wegmans snob

Seshaw2

What type of pellets?

Best to get them eating mostly weeds and leaves of the right type. Use the pellets as a supplement. You can also soak your pellets and then mix them all up with the greens.

Mazuri. I will try soaking then mixing and see if that helps! Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Spring mix doesn't have enough fiber for a tortoise's health.

Mr Buster

Reno NV
Mine will not touch Mazuri LS, he only wants peas and him wants them right now, yesterday, and tomorrow.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
My store bought mated pair are very finicky. Won't touch pellets, many greens and weeds they ignore. Over the years the female has gotten more open to eating a better variety. My old stubborn male is a challenge. But I put the greater variety in anyway...always hoping.
I do note that the finicky male always eats better immediately following a warm soak.
Their 3 offspring on the other hand are fantastic eaters! I followed the advice (from I believe Tom - thank you for the great article links!!) When they were still in the incubator for a month after hatching, I introduced them to everything I could get my hands on. They show preferences but are basically open to eating most things that I put in for them, weeds flowers, store bought greens and pellets (both Mazuri and TRex) along with the TNT supplement powder. It is so much nicer because I know with the broader variety they are getting the nutrients that they need to thrive.
My guess is the wild caught tortoises are missing their fare from home - wherever that may have been..so I am sure my Long Island weeds are not what they grew up on.

Benjallina

South East
I wish my Juggalo would eat some mazuri.. he only will eat his grass and greens. He's a wegmans snob
Sounds like he has veh discerning taste! I just had some success by using the excess water in the pot I was soaking his pellets in and drizzling it all over his leaves - munch munch munch!