Leaky Eyes in Red Foot Tortoise?

Location (City and/or State)
South Hadley
Hey there! I've owned my Redfoot tortoise Hawk for about a month now. His eyes are leaky, does anybody have any suggestions on how I could fix this, or what this means? {P.S his eyes aren't swollen nor red, just a little bit of water around his eyes.}

Last edited:

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hey there! I've owned my Redfoot tortoise Hawk for about a month now. His eyes are leaky, does anybody have any suggestions on how I could fix this, or what this means? {P.S his eyes aren't swollen nor red, just a little bit of water around his eyes.}
I'm not exact sure the cause, but if you're concerned, there is a great product called Repti turtle eye drops by zoo med. It help when my russian tortoise eye was infected.

Attachments

• 20210530_192927.jpg
    20210530_192927.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I'm not exact sure the cause, but if you're concerned, there is a great product called Repti turtle eye drops by zoo med. It help when my russian tortoise eye was infected.
Those drops are intended for turtles - they contain vitamin A which tortoises get through their primarily vegetable diet. I would use them with extreme caution in tortoises.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
What are ur temps and humidity? Could be to hot or to dry.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What are ur temps and humidity? Could be to hot or to dry.
My guess is also mild overheating.
However, some eye watering seems to be normal with some torts.
What is your enclosure temperature?
It needs to be between 80 and 86.
82 to 84 is a great ideal temperature.

Skip K

Virginia
Redfoots ive seen in the wild have “moist” looking eyes. Both of ours do too

South Hadley
Thank you guys so much for helping! Im very new to this and i was worried about it! Lesson learned, don't look up symptoms on google!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Heres a thread to read through. Those tortoise houses dont make good tortoise enclosures. And get rid of the heat pad they are not safe for tortoises . Read that thread and come back with any questions. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most tortoises that originate from rain forest type areas of the world has wet eyes. Not to worry.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Temp is about 70 humidity is about 80-90
That temp is too low for a general temperature. Although for an occasional night temperature it would be doable.
Digestion can't happen at that temperature and with a lot of humidity, some respiratory ailments can also happen.