Leapord Tortoise respiratory infection HELP!

Nathania

Hi I have a three year old Leapord tort, I'm very worried about him because at night his breathing is so loud that i can hear it. He's been sleeping most of the day lately and stays in the same spot most of the day too. He bobs his head when sleeping as well. His nose is not runny though. I asked on yahoo about this and someone said that I need to take him to a vet asap. I dont have a lot of money at the moment and I feel so bad that I'm not well equipped to take good care of him. Do you think he's really sick? Please help I want him to live a long happy life

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How are you housing him? Indoors or out? Where are you?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? What equipment are you using to achieve these temps? Night heat? UV?

When they get sick, it is usually because the environmental parameters are off. Usually things are too cool. Warming them up can sometimes stop and reverse symptoms.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hi, what are your temp? Basking area, warm side, cool area and overnight low? Is he breathing with his mouth open? The bobbing head is normal especially if he is stressed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Start by warming up his enclosure. Fix it so it's 85F all over the whole enclosure, then cover it so the cooler air from the house can't get inside again.

Going to a vet and getting injectible antibiotics would be your best bet, but if you really can't afford that, go to a feed store and buy a small packet of Terramycin soluble powder. Let me warn you, that this is NOT the best thing for your tortoise. The best thing is to go to the vet and get antibiotics.

Anyway, you use a quarter teaspoon of the powder in a quart of warm water. Leave the tortoise sitting in this water for a half hour, and an hour would be even better. Make sure he stays warm during the soak. If the soaking tub fits in the enclosure, set the tub back into the enclosure to keep him warm.

Soak him daily until you see an improvement.

In the meantime, read the care sheet and make the necessary adjustments to the way you have your tortoise set up. Like Tom said, they get sick because something's not right with the way you're caring for him.

Nathania

How are you housing him? Indoors or out? Where are you?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? What equipment are you using to achieve these temps? Night heat? UV?

When they get sick, it is usually because the environmental parameters are off. Usually things are too cool. Warming them up can sometimes stop and reverse symptoms.
I dont know anything about four temperatures....he lives inside with me. I have him housed in a glass aquarium. He has a ceramic basking spot lamp and stays under it most of the day. His shell is usually warm which is a good thing I think. I have a regular white Uv light for him

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The "four temperatures" refers to the temperature on the hot side of the habitat, the cool side, directly under the light and night time temperature. If your tortoise is in too small an enclosure, it would be impossible to have four different temperature zones.

When you say "regular white UV light", that really doesn't tell us anything. Is it one of these:

shopping

shopping

4d118ade1f443.image.jpg

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

and when you say his basking spot is "ceramic lamp" do mean this:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg

Nathania

The "four temperatures" refers to the temperature on the hot side of the habitat, the cool side, directly under the light and night time temperature. If your tortoise is in too small an enclosure, it would be impossible to have four different temperature zones.

When you say "regular white UV light", that really doesn't tell us anything. Is it one of these:

shopping

shopping

4d118ade1f443.image.jpg

View attachment 168171

and when you say his basking spot is "ceramic lamp" do mean this:

View attachment 168172
those photos I attached are his lamps. I don't have to boxes anymore....I am taking him to a vet this afternoon for a checkup. They said sooner the better

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, thanks. You have the fluorescent tube for UVB (this does not provide heat), and a Ceramic Heat Emitter for heat. I would assume you keep the CHE on all the time, day and night?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the vet wants to give the tortoise an injection of the antibiotic Baytril (enrofloxacin), tell him some leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril.

Nathania

If the vet wants to give the tortoise an injection of the antibiotic Baytril (enrofloxacin), tell him some leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril.
Yes I keep the CHE lamp on all the time . The vet gave him a shot of an antibiotic called Gentamicin...he seems pretty well now actually he's eating so they want to give him two more shots over the next two weeks. I'm hoping he feels good after those ones too and continues eating. Here's a pic of him after the shot

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    795.1 KB · Views: 13