Learn interesting things about Cadillac, MI (Attention Snowmobilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Here in my town we have two large lakes, Lake Cadillac (1440 acres) and Lake Mitchell (2400 acres.) Connecting the lakes is a canal that was originally used to float logs from one lake to the other during the lumber days, so that they could be loaded on the train (which still runs today.) The canal itself is approx. 3/10 of a mile long.

Here are some pictures of the town and lakes, so you can get an idea. I live a few blocks off of Lake Cadillac, near the wetland preserve and within walking distance to the best beach and park in the area, Kenwood park.

This is overlooking Lake Cadillac. Lake Mitchell is visible in the back right.

card00359_fr.jpg

Downtown Park

slideshow1.jpg

Airplane view

CadillacMI.jpg

Here is a view of the canal facing Lake Cadillac.

885.jpg

And a view facing Lake Mitchell.

SUNSET_8_07__2.jpg

This is one of the coves in Kenwood Park, which is the one we walk to in the summer.

2916309218_eccff5c243.jpg

Okay, now that you all understand exactly why I put up with the winters here, lol, lets get back to the canal :D

In the winter, the first thing that freezes is the canal, since it is shallower than the lakes. When the lakes freeze, the weight of the ice pushes the warmer water from the lakes up into the shallow waters of the canal, causing it to thaw back out, and it usually remains open water through the rest of the winter.

Lord knows how long ago, a group of (presumably) boys decided that it would be GREAT fun to shoot the canal on a snowmobile. Now, I am not talking about the canal when it is frozen, but rather after it thaws out. It is insanely dangerous, but definitely a cool thing to see.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmofn9YPN_k[/video]

This one BARELY makes it!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IziKDDJX-T8[/video]

Another...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cJmHbHtus[/video]

Keep in mind, the water is 20 foot deep and the air temp is usually in the mid 20's to mid teens when this takes place...

Anyway, I was taking my daughter to school this morning and we drive around the lake and along the canal to do so, and I thought maybe a few people would enjoy this ;)

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I saw a video showing this same thing recently, I think on Tosh.O but the guy didn't give it enough gas and the snowmobile fell in! So are they starting on the ice on the one lake and gaining speed to get through the canal then ending by going onto the ice on the other side?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Exactly. And the ice is quite rotten towards the edges from the current and the warmer water.

A few fall in each year - the local law enforcement frowns heavily on the practice, both because of the pollution to the lake and the man hours/money needed to fish the fools that don't make it out of the bottom of the canal, lol.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Hmmmm......I don't see any mention of Cadillac being KISS' adopted hometown and the story behind it, which is quite interesting as well!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know those lake. Used to camp when when I was a kid,many moons ago. I am originally from Muskegon Michigan :(. If you know Muskegon, you understand why I moved.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
wellington said:
I know those lake. Used to camp when when I was a kid,many moons ago. I am originally from Muskegon Michigan :(. If you know Muskegon, you understand why I moved.

Oh god, stay in Chicago! ;) :p... I'm from Greenville. You guys do have that bitchin drive-in theater though, we used to stop for a movie on our way home from a day at the beach in Grand Haven sometimes.

I've seen people do that too!...there used to be some sort of competition in Canada? I vaugly remember from a long time ago. Definetly didnt know they did it in Cadillac though

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Oooh, good call Harris! You would know that one! I'll post that story as soon as I get a chance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ShadowRancher said:
wellington said:

Oh god, stay in Chicago! ;) :p... I'm from Greenville. You guys do have that bitchin drive-in theater though, we used to stop for a movie on our way home from a day at the beach in Grand Haven sometimes.

I've seen people do that too!...there used to be some sort of competition in Canada? I vaugly remember from a long time ago. Definetly didnt know they did it in Cadillac though

I hear ya, but the drive in theater, gone long ago:( it was a great date place.:p

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Status
Not open for further replies.