Leaving Oli Alone - Need Advise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Well let me put it this way: temp reached about 30 degrees C about two weeks ago, but it dropped to only 20 today! It it not col, but not it isn't as warm as it usually is in May.
I would be tempted to leave the lights off while you are away.

There is no chance of temperatures where you live dropping low enough for Oli to hibernate and every chance that things could suddenly get a lot hotter.

Oli will be absolutely fine without UVB and basking for such a short time :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would be tempted to leave the lights off while you are away.

There is no chance of temperatures where you live dropping low enough for Oli to hibernate and every chance that things could suddenly get a lot hotter.

Oli will be absolutely fine without UVB and basking for such a short time :)
Yes. So don't worry.

Kori5

It is a very much deserved trip my dear friend :). I would leave him two saucers with water and some food ( you can add things he usually doesn't want to eat, like dandelions clover radicchio and some familiar things). You know I have a spoiled one too, he had gone without eating for two days and the day three he was muncing on dandelions :). Also, soak him night and morning before the trip. Leave him some cucumber too. I would turn the lights off.

Last edited:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
One other question ladies and gentlemen: what if I do NOT leave the light on?

I do not leave lights on if I'm away for more than a day's worth of errands. I think it's an unnecessary risk if there isn't someone to check in.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I do not leave lights on if I'm away for more than a day's worth of errands. I think it's an unnecessary risk if there isn't someone to check in.
Yes, power is frightening, and that is the reason for my question. I don't think I will leave it on.

Thanks a lot your help.

Rue

Canada
If heat isn't an issue...you could just have a regular light bulb set on a timer...so there would still be light if needed...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It is a very much deserved trip my dear friend :). I would leave him two saucers with water and some food ( you can add things he usually doesn't want to eat, like dandelions clover radicchio and some familiar things). You know I have a spoiled one too, he had gone without eating for two days and the day three he was muncing on dandelions :). Also, soak him night and morning before the trip. Leave him some cucumber too. I would turn the lights off.
Thanks a lot your very helpful post as well as your kind words. :) :<3:

I am not going to keep the light on : it's too much of a risk, I think.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Gillian!!!
Did you take your break ?
Hope you had a lovely time and Oli managed alright.
Tidgy sends him a big kiss.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, Gillian!!!
Did you take your break ?
Hope you had a lovely time and Oli managed alright.
Tidgy sends him a big kiss.
Hi Adam, Wifey and Tidgy.

No I'm afraid not. Was not able to move from Amman till OLI's new enclosure was ready. And once it was:

a) a heat wave began with temp reaching 38 degrees C in Amman and 46 degrees C in Aqaba! Don't want to go and remain at a hotel. I want to enjoy the sea, the sun.....know what I mean?

b) OLI has been driving me nuts: he keeps flipping on his back, and this means I cannot move till I solve the problem/he gets used to his new enclosure.

Regards to Wifey (hope she is now well), and LOVE to Tidgy from OLI.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi Adam, Wifey and Tidgy.

No I'm afraid not. Was not able to move from Amman till OLI's new enclosure was ready. And once it was:

a) a heat wave began with temp reaching 38 degrees C in Amman and 46 degrees C in Aqaba! Don't want to go and remain at a hotel. I want to enjoy the sea, the sun.....know what I mean?

b) OLI has been driving me nuts: he keeps flipping on his back, and this means I cannot move till I solve the problem/he gets used to his new enclosure.

Regards to Wifey (hope she is now well), and LOVE to Tidgy from OLI.
Hmmmmm.
Sorry about that. Though 46 degrees would be super for me.
Have replied to your PM.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hmmmmm.
Sorry about that. Though 46 degrees would be super for me.
Have replied to your PM.
Thanks your PM as well as your help.

46 is super for me as well, but one has to keep in mind that when one is off for a holiday, one would not e expecting to remain in a hotel room 24 hours a day. I want to enjoy the journey, the sea, the sun, which is now VERY FRIGHTENING. Civil Defence Dept has cautioned not to remain in the sun for too long, so as to avoid sun strokes.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Ed, here's the picture of the enclosure (the new one of course), once again.

160515-024354.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Eight corners.
This is the first I've seen of it.
Oli is used to walking a much bigger area.
Hopefully he'll settle down.
The heat would stop me too. But I'm sure that middle eastern weather is nothing like our tropical system.
I know that you like it warm, so it must be bad.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Eight corners.
The heat would stop me too. But I'm sure that middle eastern weather is nothing like our tropical system.
Eight corners.
I guess you are right: OLI got used to roaming around the flat, let alone the street, when I take him out for "walks." The issue is really worrying me: imagine that it is now past 3 am here and I just have not been able to fall asleep!

As far as the weather is concerned, well, I do like HOT weather, but heat waves are dangerous. Civil Defence Dept. has cautioned of the striking sun. I don't want to go for a so-called "holiday" and then remain imprisoned in a hotel room. Know what I mean?

Appreciate your help. Thank you!