LED light hood

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Has anyone used one of these new duel lamp fixtures???

That bar a HO uvb bulb and Les lights for day light/plant grow light

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497934581.901386.jpg

I'm thinking of this for a Chameleon enclosure I'm building.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have not used one yet but it is an excellent fixture combination. I do use a combination UVB fluorescent next to LEDs balanced for plant growth in my star enclosures. I think it is the best combination currently available.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
LLL Reptiles sells them at a good price too. I can get the 14" model at my local petco for $130 or I can upsize to the 24" one from LLL FOR $100. No brainer. LLL has always had good deal for us

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes.
I had one on my wifes Molly tank.
They look great. But can NOT tolerate even a little water on them. Over a period of about 8 months, most of the LEDs crapped out from water droplets via the return flow from her filter. (bubbles popping)
Shield the unit from any likely source of moisture.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's possible that they all aren't created equal. But since they are so expensive I wont try it again for aquatics unless I have a glass cover. (no uvb)
Good heads up from Ed! They are so rapidly improving LED lights and fixtures now, that I would definitely check on the moisture aspect as our enclosures need high humidity. A more sealed fixture for the LEDs could work as the UVB is coming from the other, fluorescent light. The UVA the LEDs are producing are in a range that would not be filtered much by glass.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I'll just run 2 fixtures like I normally do.

I buy the 18" T8 10.0 bulbs and just buy cheap fixtures for them. There's nothing wrong with the ZooMed hoods but the price is high since it's for an animal.

I go to Home Depot and find there "under the counter" light fixtures. They sell an 18" T8 fixture that plugs in that happens to be the same 15watt as the bulbs we use and they sell them for $13 each. I use them in my red foot enclosures and just take the cheesy white plastic part the covers the bulb off.

For $7 Home Depot also sells a plant bulb that fits in them so for $20 I get a plant grow light and for a total of $35 I can have the fixture and new uvb bulb.

$55 all in for grow light, uvb and 2 fixtures.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497973510.302706.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497973531.531781.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah I go to home Depot because they stock them. I don't like to pay shipping and wait. I checked 2 local Walmart and they didn't carry them in store.
My Walmart has them hanging in the lighting department. But it does require having to enter a Walmart.
Never a lot of fun.

daniellenc

Maryland
Are these fixtures for use inside of a closed tank and if so how do you mount them?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know tortdad knows, but if you use this type fixture for your UVB bulbs, be sure NOT to use the plastic cover that goes over the fluorescent bulb. It will block the UVB.

You can mount / screw these fixtures directly to the inside top of the enclosure. They are meant to be mounted directly to the underside of a cabinet.

daniellenc

Maryland
What about in a plastic tub? Can I use an adhesive strip to mount them?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Perfect ty
Yeah don't trust glue or Velcro. Drill a small hole in the plastic lid and mount it. I would try to find some sort or backer material for the outside of the plastic bin lid to strengthen it. Heck, even a wooden Popsicle stick at each screw location would work..... plus you get to eat popsicles so win win.