Left eye swollen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike nguyen

5 Year Member
My African sulcata tortoise left is red and swollen but not completely shut. 3 days ago it was really windy. Is it possible that he got sand in his eye or infection? What can I do?
Mike

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Yes - that could be. Try rinsing it out with an eye solution (I use my husband's contact lens solution that he rinses his eyes out with.) You can also use Terramycin on it to heal and keep it moist.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is very possible. If you can soak your Sulcata in warm water, do it daily. Rinse the eye as Kimber suggests.

Last year one of my Russians developed a swollen L eye only, and after a vet visit or two, we determined that it was a piece of substrate (or something), very tiny, that wedged under the inner lid and was irritating the surface of the eye every time she blinked. :(

Hopefully if it was a piece of sand, etc., then it is just scratched, and this can take a few days to heal. If you can get Terramycin (feed stores, etc.), then apply that to the eyelid edges.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The eye ball itself doesn't really have too many nerves to feel pain. All resources go to rods and cones for seeing. The pain comes from the eyelid. Flush the eye as well as you can. If the swelling persists, seek a professionals help. Let us know how things turn out.

mike nguyen

5 Year Member
His eye is less swollen today. How long should I do continue to wash his eye out with warm water?

mike nguyen

5 Year Member
My tortoise eye still swollen and now his eye have water running out? Should I take him to the vet?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Does he have any other symptoms? If not, you can use some Terramycin in his eye. It may have developed an infection.

mike nguyen

5 Year Member
No other symptoms. Every day he get up got out of his house. Lay out in the sun for most of the day. He still eat good. Still active.
Ok I will try that. Thank you for your help.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If that doesn't work in a couple of days or if you can't find Terramycin, then yes, definitely take him to a reptile vet.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How hard will it be to take your sully to a reptile vet? He looks very big. How will you manage because that eye looks infected.

mike nguyen

5 Year Member
Not sure how yo get him to a vet, But I'm looking for a house call vet right now. My tortoise is 8 yrs old and about 80-90 lb.

mike nguyen

5 Year Member
The white stuff gone now after warm salt water wash and contact cleaner wash. Should I still take him to the vet?

image-1088483755.png

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Do u live in the US? If so, you can try to transport him onto a truck with a friend. You may be able to get him on one of those moving dollies, if he stays. I saw a man bring in his tortoise that was over 100 lbs to the vet's office. He just walked the tort in...no leash, no board, no helper. He just directed the tort's direction. Does your tort let you direct his steps? Just some thoughts.

mike nguyen said:
Not sure how yo get him to a vet, But I'm looking for a house call vet right now. My tortoise is 8 yrs old and about 80-90 lb.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Did you find the Terramycin ointment? That might help until you can figure out how to get him to see a vet.

If you can get him with help into the back of a car (like a station wagon or SUV, the vet might be willing to come out to the car to check him.

mike nguyen

5 Year Member
Yes, we live in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley). We are trying to get the tortoise in our car. I did get some Terramycin but can't put much on him. He keep pulling his head in side. 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.