Legos As A Material For Tortoise Enclosures

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
Has anyone ever tried? ABS plastic won't decompose. If walled up, none of the pieces would stick out within the enclosure.

Legos has also recently started making a new type of plant-based plastics from sugar cane which they claim to be as durable as conventional plastic.

Build it as high, as long, and as thick as you want. Break it down when you no longer need it. Price is the only factor I can think unless there is something else I may have missed.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It would take quite a few LEGO pieces to make a 4 foot x 8 foot x 2 foot high enclosure. And, you still have the bottom and top to deal with.

Not sure lego is practical really..

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Has anyone ever tried? ABS plastic won't decompose. If walled up, none of the pieces would stick out within the enclosure.

Legos has also recently started making a new type of plant-based plastics from sugar cane which they claim to be as durable as conventional plastic.

Build it as high, as long, and as thick as you want. Break it down when you no longer need it. Price is the only factor I can think unless there is something else I may have missed.
That would be cool, you could you use those big lego sheets that usualy serves for the floor of your creation maybe stick 3 or four together. However legos are expensive maybe it'll be cheaper with mega blocks!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
It would take quite a few LEGO pieces to make a 4 foot x 8 foot x 2 foot high enclosure. And, you still have the bottom and top to deal with.

Not sure lego is practical really..

Yes it would cost a lot of money. 4 figures easily. Possibly 5 for a closed chamber setup. Cheaper if the builder uses only discounted bulk misc. legos from sites that sell them.

Can anyone of you imagine the time and labor it would take? Sorting through miscellaneous pieces of legos, building a tortoise table of that size? lol

Could you make a hide out of them

If the individual pieces were larger (like Mega blocks) than your tortoise's jaw it could work. I've never placed any building blocks inside so I can't say for certain. Not sure how a tortoise would react to it.

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
I made a small hide out of LEGO bricks. It’s been a mixed bag. Works, but even a small tortoise can bust it up quite easily. I’ll post some pics tomorrow if I remember. I purchased a bag on eBay of random pieces and supplemented with some from the LEGO website.

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
Here is an OK picture of it. I've been experimenting with trying to grow some succulents and other stuff in a tray on top so it is out of tortoise-reach and there are a ton of tillandsia that I just dumped in there as well but you can get the picture.

It is basically just a square box, with a cutout for them to enter and exit. The top is LEGO part #10700 a 32x32 stud Green Baseplate.

2018-08-09 05.54.33.jpg

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Here is an OK picture of it. I've been experimenting with trying to grow some succulents and other stuff in a tray on top so it is out of tortoise-reach and there are a ton of tillandsia that I just dumped in there as well but you can get the picture.

It is basically just a square box, with a cutout for them to enter and exit. The top is LEGO part #10700 a 32x32 stud Green Baseplate.

View attachment 247829

Looks great! Such an awesome idea.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

View attachment 247829

Thanks for sharing! I like the square tray on top to help secure the hide. With enough blocks, the hide can grow together with the tort! :)

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
Thanks for sharing! I like the square tray on top to help secure the hide. With enough blocks, the hide can grow together with the tort! :)

I think I may try to move over to the Duplo-style blocks eventually since they are bigger and a hide would require fewer blocks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
N

no one

Indu has lego in his enclosure. Two sort of hides, more like bridges he can sit under or walk true. One on the warm side and one on the cool side. And he has his humid hide.
I bought the lego for him, because it won't mold. *smile*

Last edited by a moderator: