Leopard "captive" life expectancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galaxy far, far away...
I've read some varying reports about leopard tortoise life expectancy. Most of these reports seem to be in regards to wild torts.

My question is for some of the board members with long term experience in tortoise husbandry. What are you seeing in terms of life expectancy for captive bred leopards (and other species for that matter.)

How old are some of your current torts?

Thanks.

Rob

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Leopards and sulcatas only went mainstream in the early 90's. Prior to that they were both relatively unknown. The first captive bred ones I ever saw were around that time. Before that time they were all wild caught and no one has any way of knowing their age. For the last 20 years we have been doing a pretty bad job of raising and taking care of them, in my opinion. I give myself a D. I think this will have an effect on their longevity. Once we truly figure out how to do it "right", only then can the clock begin ticking to start counting tortoise longevity. There are several verified instances of wild caught adult tortoises living over 100 years. Who knows how old they already were when the countdown began. I suspect they can live over 100 years and possibly much longer than that. The real answer is that no one really knows and no one really will know for a very long time. I don't think our children's children's children will know.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Thanks Tom. That is a very honest answer.

The reason I ask is that it is helpful for people to know what to expect when buying/ adopting a pet. All too often we see people getting animals without knowing what they are getting into and these animals usually wind up in bad situations. (Myself included which is why I am happy to be a member of this forum.)

So what are some ages of the torts owned by members of the forum? Anyone here own a tortoise that they've had for 10 years? 15? More?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We had a thread on this not too long ago. Can't remember the title. My oldest will be 13 in July, but some people had some that were 40-50 years old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My oldest tortoise is a desert tortoise. I got her way back in the early '70's and she was an adult then. I guesstimate that she is about 75 years old. My 100lb sulcata is 20.

John

5 Year Member
I think the more important thing here for people thinking about obtaining a tortoise is how hard it may be too get through the first year.and the care required too maintain the tort how long that will be is simple.your lifetime and beyond.I have already made plans for my son too have my torts when i take off,hopefully that will work out fact is you never know what the future holds. john

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Until proven otherwise I think it's safe to say that a captive tortoise could outlive you. That of course is subject to the husbandry it recieves throughout it's life, so it's definatley important for a new tortoises to consider that they might live that long. I think Squamata has a good point in that new owners should put a lot of effort and imporance on getting through the first year as well as considering the tortoises future.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
That's very interesting. I think I will have to have a talk with my daughter when she gets home from school. She's a big animal lover I'm sure she would take my torts when I die, but I've never asked her.:shy:

chris and her tort

5 Year Member
My mother-in-law recently passed away, and that is how our leopard tortoise came to live with us. We estimate that he is about 30 years old (entirely in captivity). We just built him a new shed. I know that my MIL had always wanted a larger winter home for him, and that it would've made her happy. I've also had fun planning a tortoise-proof section of the garden for him. I know it's an odd thing to talk about, but I think everyone should prepare for their tortoises to outlive them. Really, I think it's even a good idea to include it in your will. I think it's also important that whomever is decided on as a future caregiver also learns and understands how to properly take care of them. I stumbled along at first, and am still learning new things months later.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
leopardtort1-7-11a.jpg

Tortellini on the left belongs to a friend who had to move into an apartment. I've had her since '06 and Mary thought she was 20 years old when she brought her to me. She weighs 27.6lbs. I thought she was full grown, but she weighed 19.6lbs when I got her.

Cincinnati on the right is a rescue so I don't know her real age, but she's younger than Tortellini and weighs 22.4lbs.

#2, the small one in front, hatched 5 years ago and weighs 3.8lbs.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Are you breeding those Yvonne? If so and if you ever get eggs from Tortellini let me know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neal Butler said:
Are you breeding those Yvonne? If so and if you ever get eggs from Tortellini let me know.

Not anymore. I had a hard time selling the babies, so I adopted out my males. But #2 turned out to be male (another one of those incubated for female but ended up being male), so I imagine I'll get eggs again in a couple years.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
chris and her tort said:
My mother-in-law recently passed away, and that is how our leopard tortoise came to live with us. We estimate that he is about 30 years old (entirely in captivity). We just built him a new shed. I know that my MIL had always wanted a larger winter home for him, and that it would've made her happy. I've also had fun planning a tortoise-proof section of the garden for him. I know it's an odd thing to talk about, but I think everyone should prepare for their tortoises to outlive them. Really, I think it's even a good idea to include it in your will. I think it's also important that whomever is decided on as a future caregiver also learns and understands how to properly take care of them. I stumbled along at first, and am still learning new things months later.

Hi Chris do you have any pic's of your Leo you can post?:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know some people believe that tortoise don't die except of improper care and disease and animal attacks. I think that a healthy tortoise takn well care should have no problem living 80 years or so. I know of people in the CTTC who have CDT approaching 100 long term captives who they have had for like 60 plus years. but the first couple of years are usually the hardest to get through

Status
Not open for further replies.