Leopard growth rate and personality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mues155

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Dakota
I have a question about Leopard tortoises.
I'm interested in adding a tortoise to my family, theres a couple different species that jump out to me.

My question for the Leopard is what is their growth rate? Can anyone provide me with a growth chart? Maybe how much yours grew the first year, second. etc?

I rent a basement duplex right now so an adult leopard wouldnt be happy here. But I'm planning on my living conditions to change in the next year and the tortoise could have a nice yard to live in for the summer.
I'm just curious about their growth rate.

I'm also interested in greeks or hermanns. smaller and more apartment friendly but I know I wont be an apartment forever.
anyone have any input on these 3 species personalities and how they differ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard is 15mo. Old and 3inches long. Mine is a babcocki. The paradeli (not spelled correct) grows at a faster pace then the babcocki. That said, of course each individual tort grows at it's own pace. The Russians and Hermans and Greeks are a smaller tort,better suited for indoors at adulthood, however no tort should live strictly indoors.

mues155

5 Year Member
North Dakota
wellington said:
My leopard is 15mo. Old and 3inches long. Mine is a babcocki. The paradeli (not spelled correct) grows at a faster pace then the babcocki. That said, of course each individual tort grows at it's own pace. The Russians and Hermans and Greeks are a smaller tort,better suited for indoors at adulthood, however no tort should live strictly indoors.

Well I'm just doing my research still.
I dont plan on adding a tortoise to my home anytime soon but I would like to make sure I have done rearch and am ready for the new addition when the time comes.
I hear that leopards have such great personalities and I love the idea of having him just roaming the backyard as an adult grazing and basking in the sun in the summer time.

Being from North Dakota summer time is quite short. For temps to be safe for a leopard (Ive read that it should be at least 75 in the shade?) it would probably be late june to august. But in any case I'm confident I can provide a tortoise with a suitable habitat indoors.

I was just curious how long it takes for a leopard to reach like the 20-30lb range

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I live in Chicago. Cold snowy winters. My leopard has a great personality. Friendly, loves to have his head scratched and his face kissed, yes I kiss my tort:D it will be quite a few years before I would be able to leave him out in a heated area for winters. I can't wait either until he is big and roaming the yard. Read the threads at the bottom of my post . They are all good for leopards.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I personally wouldn't want to have a leopard in North Dakota. They need lots of outdoor sunshine. I have read that they grow from 2-4 inches a year.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It would take at least a couple years all the way up to 10-20 years depending on how cared for and the tortoise itself.
You will want to take into account Leopards should be kept outdoors at the size and need sun alot.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If I were you I would just go with a greek, russian, or hermanns. All three of those types are really small and only get about 10 inches max after many years. Because if you end up moving to a place with little to no backyard its really not a big deal. But with a leopard that would be a big problem.

mues155

5 Year Member
North Dakota
wellington said:
I live in Chicago. Cold snowy winters. My leopard has a great personality. Friendly, loves to have his head scratched and his face kissed, yes I kiss my tort:D it will be quite a few years before I would be able to leave him out in a heated area for winters. I can't wait either until he is big and roaming the yard. Read the threads at the bottom of my post . They are all good for leopards.
I think its adorable you kiss your tortoise :) I would be the same way.
Thank you for threads I will be sure to check them out.

DesertGrandma said:
I personally wouldn't want to have a leopard in North Dakota. They need lots of outdoor sunshine. I have read that they grow from 2-4 inches a year.
So what kind of tortoise would you suggest? I would think most tortoises would prefere living outdoors year round. But for most of the US, thats just not possible. Are you saying just because he wouldnt be able to live outdoors then I shouldnt have one at all?
Im sure with the right husbandry a leopard could live just fine indoors.
I have whole plans drawn out on how his backyard would look. And also a rough design for an outdoor year round heated cage once hes an adult.
I've heard the same for greeks and russians, that they should live outdoors at best. But I know not everyone can provide that.

Jacob said:
It would take at least a couple years all the way up to 10-20 years depending on how cared for and the tortoise itself.
You will want to take into account Leopards should be kept outdoors at the size and need sun alot.
Thank you for your input.

Eweezyfosheezy said:
If I were you I would just go with a greek, russian, or hermanns. All three of those types are really small and only get about 10 inches max after many years. Because if you end up moving to a place with little to no backyard its really not a big deal. But with a leopard that would be a big problem.

Believe me, not having a yard is not an option for me, I dont care what it takes, I've always been that way.
I know Leopards get big, much bigger than greeks or hermanns. But thats part of the appeal to me. This tortoise will be apart of my home for its lifetime, hopefully out living me.
I do want to do best by the tortoise. And thats why I'm doing plenty of research first.
I'm not set on a leopard in any way...I'm just checking things out. So I do value your guys opinions.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have two siblings from the same clutch. They will reach a year of age in August. One is ~5 inches straight carapace length the last time I measured. The other was just shy of 3 inches straight carapace length the last time I measured, although I can see the animal has grown a bit since that time. I am receiving a third clutchmate from the breeder that is a little over 3 inches straight carapace length. These have all been raised separately from one another thus far.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
mues155 said:
I have a question about Leopard tortoises.
I'm interested in adding a tortoise to my family, theres a couple different species that jump out to me.

My question for the Leopard is what is their growth rate? Can anyone provide me with a growth chart? Maybe how much yours grew the first year, second. etc?

I rent a basement duplex right now so an adult leopard wouldnt be happy here. But I'm planning on my living conditions to change in the next year and the tortoise could have a nice yard to live in for the summer.
I'm just curious about their growth rate.

I'm also interested in greeks or hermanns. smaller and more apartment friendly but I know I wont be an apartment forever.
anyone have any input on these 3 species personalities and how they differ?

Growth rates will vary. I have young leopards from several different bloodlines and breeders right now. The ones produced by my adults are by far the slowest growers...they will probably barely hit the 2.5 inch mark after a year. Whereas some of the others I have are on track to surpass four inches after the first year. What seems to be average is a growth rate of about 2 - 4 inches a year.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I completely understand the appeal of the larger torts. However, I think you will find that a full-grown Hermann's would also be pleasantly large. I have a couple that are still under two pounds, and I have to use both hands to move them. When/if they reach 10 inches.... well, that will be a whole lotta tort! With Hermann's (or other Mediterranean torts) you also have the option of hibernating them during the winter.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I "Down-Sized" when I chose Leopards. I know the appeal of large torts but only have room for 1 full size Sulcata and wanted to try my hand at raising a hatchling and I do have room for 2 full size Leopards in my yard. Mine are still small (Eros is 6 mo. and Gaia is almost a year) they are both less than 2 in and about the same size (with-in a few grams).

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I have a leopard that is 5 months old, 3.5" and weighs 148g. She is growing much faster then we could have imagined. Growth rates vary between each tort. My leopard has grown much faster then my sulcata ever Did.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
This is six months worth I did have him a year though.
Dec. 45g
Jan. 47g
feb. 51g
mar. 54g
apr. 60g
may. 81g

and I just weighed right now he is 100g but can't count it his weigh in is tomorrow haha

Status
Not open for further replies.