Leopard hatchling hatched 2 months later than siblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I wanted to share this awesome moment for me. I don't know if you guys remember I posted a thread with my Leopards (showed pics of parents) that had six eggs and three hatched out on January 19, 23, and 25. Well the other eggs still looked viable so I didn't throw them out. Well I thought they were bad since they weren't hatching and even the second clutch of hers had already hatched out. I can't tell you how many times I thought about throwing them out because so much time has gone by but on March 21, I looked in the container and this lil' girl hatched out. She is actually just over 2 months later with hatching than her siblings. It's been my experience with hatching out babies that the entire clutch will hatch within two weeks of each other, but this just shows...don't throw them out unless you are positive they are bad. I am a proud mama!!!:D
f5duf.jpg

xe0dcj.jpg

n6x1ky.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe it is yvonne who always says don't get rid of them until they explode.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yeah, I can tell because they will either explode or turn dark and have fuzz growing on them. When you look through them, it's all liquid or a bubble. That's why I kept these three because they chalked up and looked viable. It's just amazing in my opinion how you can place six eggs, have the same variables all the way around and it take some of them 2 extra months or more to develop. For me, I analyze everything and it makes me want to examine how/when development starts. Was the process slower for these others or was there really a diapause issue where some didn't start to develop until later. Anyways, I am thrilled/elated!

jsphr90

5 Year Member
feel free to send the little one my way! :D better late than never right?!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know if that's a leopard trait or not, but all of my other chelonian eggs hatch by the clutch. Leopard eggs were the only ones that hatched individually...sometimes months apart.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I know Yvonne. That's been my experience and I read Richard Fife's book and after all of my experience I first though, "yeah right" but Yes he was right and proved me wrong lol. I think it's a true blessing and wanted to share with others to never throw out until you are certain they are bad (mold, explode, etc). I will keep you posted on the other two as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.