Leopard hatchling loosing weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Here is a picture of my cute little hatchling. They are all so cute, aren't they?

I got this baby and one other clutchmate from a friend of mine through my CTTC club. They hatched end of May to beginning of June so I say "June 1st" as a round off birthday.
One baby started with slow growth but has since doubled in size and gained lots of weight. That baby is doing super :)
This little baby is the one loosing weight. She came to me at the end of July weighing 32grams. Very active and eating. Lives in a tank converted to closed chamber with the hot and humid method. Sept 1st, a week after she came home I weighed her again at 30grams. I figure no big deal about that though. She is still active and eats great. Each morning she is soaked in her own tub then fed a mazuri/ grass and weeds mixed breakfast. Eats great. Food is constantly available in the enclosure and she gets out for an hour or 2 a day in a heavily planted pen where she can graze..which she did. Cuttlebone is available always and minerAll is given once a week in the Mazuri breakfast.
The last week of Sept I noticed she wasn't eating her breakfast at all anymore. She wasn't active anymore either. Her eyes are always closed and she didn't move. Wherever I plop her down is where she stays. She was still pooping in her soaks. Although not as much and sometimes it was white, mucousy looking. IMO it didn't look like urates though.
Weighed her again Oct 1st and she was 25grams. The past few days I have tried extra soaks and extra feeding (even romaine) but she isn't interested.
Today I weighed her, 22 grams and the plastron is very soft and squishy. :(
She hasn't moved from where I put her. (like in the picture)
I'm sad. I'm going to the store today for carrot baby food to start those soaks.

Again the other baby is great. My 2 yearlings are great. My 18mo old I raised from a hatchling is great. It's just this one little one. The symptoms sound like Hatchling Failure Syndrome. If so, there really isn't anything I can do.
As far as I know the other 8 babies from the clutch that my friend still has are fine.
Am I just playing a waiting game now? :(

Sent from my TFOapp

Attachments

• 1380997250374.jpg
    1380997250374.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 1380997296417.jpg
    1380997296417.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 1380997325895.jpg
    1380997325895.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 154

mikeh

5 Year Member
Fecal test for parasites?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry you having troubles with this little one. I agree with mikeh, possible parasites. Until you can get her to a vet for a fecal, try giving her some pumpkin, it's thought to be a natural dewormer. You may also want to get some unflavored pedialyte for her soaks too. Good luck, keep us posted.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh Heather. Sucky news. Your little leopard is in my thoughts. Best wishes and hopes that this baby will beat the odds and get better.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Too me it looks like it may have died already? They eye sockets look sunken in. I hope not though!! Best of luck

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Not dead...but I don't think she is too far off.
She seems to have gone downhill so quickly. :(

Sent from my TFOapp

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Darn it Heather. I am so sorry. I know how well you love and take care of your torts. I guess this does show yet again, that no matter how well we take care of them, if they are not started out right, they could still not make it. Poor little thing:(
Again, so sorry.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
No poop yet, so I can't take in a fecal sample.

But I do think she suffers from HFS not suffering from parasites.

She is 21 grams now. Very soft plastron. No movement. Eyes always closed and sunken in.

I have been doing carrot baby food soaks even though I don't think it will save her. She's being kept warm in a 10 gallon chamber.

What else do I do? Am I just waiting for her to die? I'm so sad for her.

Here is her carrot soak today. I have to keep the level low because she won't hold up her head. She is so lifeless but still alive and I am fighting tears (rescuers, I don't know how you deal with problems/loss over and over again)
At what point does one consider euthanasia? I'd be terrified to do that on the "what if"... This is so hard...

Sent from my TFOapp

Attachments

• 1381173760822.jpg
    1381173760822.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1381173772979.jpg
    1381173772979.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 83

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh Heather that is so heart breaking. Have you tried the pedialyte along with the carrot soaks? If she's not eating, you won't get any poops. I would almost bet it's the hatchling failure syndrome more then parasites. I wish I knew more to tell you.
As for the knowing when it's time to put her down, well that can only be your call.
No one could blame you for going either way. We know you have given her the best chance possible. I feel for you. Go with what your heart is telling you. So, sorry:(

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What does the plastron look like? Does it almost appear to be translucent?

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i came into the tortoise-keeping world as a rescuer. when i learned what that meant, i decided to stick with it. ive rescued three and have already lost one, (he was a leopard, theres a thread called 'an alright day hit rock bottom' about it) and it was a very hard time for me. it hurts knowing you tried so hard to give them a better life but were just too late. im sorry youre going through this and it has to be so slow. i hope you realize its not your fault and you did everything within your power to help.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Leopard hatchling loosing weight

Neal said:
What does the plastron look like? Does it almost appear to be translucent?

I don't think it looks translucent.
It is does push in pretty easily and pretty deep.

Sent from my TFOapp

Attachments

• 1381175829699.jpg
    1381175829699.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 83

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hmmm...it's hard to know what to do at this point or what might have happened. If you have the means and will, I would of course recommend a vet visit...it's not a lost cause until the tortoise is dead in my opinion.

sopo

5 Year Member
So Central OK
So sorry about the baby. Praying it pulls through. At what age is hatchling failure syndrome a threat? Or how can I learn more about it? thanks

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Oh Heather, I'm so sorry you're going through this...having to watch your little one go downhill. I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't feel experienced enough to help.

As for euthanasia, my opinion in when it gets to the point that the animal is truly suffering, and we're only keeping them alive for ourselves, then it's time. I don't think the decision is ever easy, whichever way you go.

Sending virtual hugs!

AlishaT

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry this is happening. Just thinking of what you must be going through just breaks my heart.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I'm so sorry. Looking at this little guy is so sad. :(

wellington the link didn't work. I would also like to know more about this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.