Leopard not using moist hides cause for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
From the research I have gathered and noted, Leo's should be provided the opportuntiy to retreat into a moist hide. I have provided several, three to be exact. One in the warm area, one in the middle zone, and another in the cooler end.
My relative humidity in the entire enclosure is 55-60%, while the hides pack a whopping 90-95%. I use cypress bedding throughout the entire enclosure, with sphagnum in the hides and 2" to burrow into in the cooler end, misted daily. My relative enclosure temp is around 75F with a warm area of 85F-90F and a basking of 95F-110F. He gets several daily mists till he drips, and daily soaks. He also has access to fresh drinking water changed multiple times a day.

Back to the question: should I be concerned he is not willing to use his moist hides? Or am I providing enough moisture between misting and soaks? He likes to burrow down about a 1/2" into the cypress at night. I also have him set up in a "nursery", 50(?) gallon rubbermaid container with some holes drilled for decent fresh air flow.
His diet consists of home made "spring mix", everyday, with mushed Mazuri mixed with calcium (no D3) every other feeding. He also gets his "outside time", in his outdoor enclosure for a few hours everyday, where he has access to all sorts of grasses and a huge variety of weeds (and of course sunshine).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you checked the substrate in those hides? The substrate your using, the moss molds. Are you sure he isn't going in them because they have molded. Also, how old is he? Mine is 17 months. He has a humid side and a side that is not so much. He usually stays in the less humid side, where when he was younger, he liked the humid side better. Other wise, your all over humidity isn't bad, however if he is under a year, I did the higher humidity with the higher temps. Toms way as in the threads below.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think you're doing enough with the soaks and spraying that I wouldn't be concerned. Are you satisfied with his growth (smoothness vs pyramiding)?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think sometimes we should just stop and listen to what our tortoises are telling us. Yours seems to be speaking pretty loudly. Does he have a nonhumid hide to use?

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Fresh sphagnum, double checked for mold just now. I did forget to mention he is new here. I have him another choice of hide. I'm not really concerned per say, because he has quite the healthy little personality. Very spunky and active. He just sort of crashes wherever he wants, whether in the humid side or dry. I will let him lead the dance for now, I'll just change the tempo when needed. Thanks everyone :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
He might not know what the hides are yet if he's new to you. You might try placing him inside the hides every now and then.

If your enclosure is 50% humidity and you are keeping him hydrated, I would not be concerned that he is going to pyramid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have had lots of tortoises do this. Some just seem to prefer being in the hide and some don't. One interesting consequence that I have noted is that the ones who choose to spend a lot of time in the humid hides grow smoother and faster than their cltuchmates who choose to stay out in the open.

If your leopard is growing smooth and not starting to form ridges, I would not worry too much about it. If you start to see the faintest hint of pyramiding, I would start putting him one of the warmer humid hides every night. This will sort of "train" him to use them on his own, and as Neal noted, get him more familiar and comfortable with them.

Another thing I have noted is that sometimes they change their preference. I have had quite a few that didn't want to use the hide box, suddenly change their mind and decide to stay in there all the time. It's almost as if they "discovered" them.

Post a pic of your baby and the enclosure. We'd love to check it out.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Very normal that he is not using his hides provided for him. Some are smart about it right away but for the most part most babies do their own thing and plop down and sleep wherever (even if that means they are in the middle of their afternoon meal :D). Make it a habit of putting him in his hide when he is sleeping and he will realize its the best place for him. I agree with Tom we'd love to see pics!

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
Tom said:
I have had lots of tortoises do this. Some just seem to prefer being in the hide and some don't. One interesting consequence that I have noted is that the ones who choose to spend a lot of time in the humid hides grow smoother and faster than their cltuchmates who choose to stay out in the open.

If your leopard is growing smooth and not starting to form ridges, I would not worry too much about it. If you start to see the faintest hint of pyramiding, I would start putting him one of the warmer humid hides every night. This will sort of "train" him to use them on his own, and as Neal noted, get him more familiar and comfortable with them.

Another thing I have noted is that sometimes they change their preference. I have had quite a few that didn't want to use the hide box, suddenly change their mind and decide to stay in there all the time. It's almost as if they "discovered" them.

I totaly agree with all that right there, SPOT ON Tom and Neal. ;)

Our kids (torts) really love there warm humid hide at night sleep mostly in there but also use a dryer spot at the other end as well for short naps and such durring day time hrs. They figure it out pretty quick and know real well how to regulate not only for humidity but for warmth or coolness.

Status
Not open for further replies.