leopard only eating romain lettuce

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjet86

10 Year Member!
hey,

i have tried feeding several different things, hay, flowers, grass and he only seems to love lettuce. i have tried adding things in with the lettuce but he only picks out the lettuce. i supplement it often because hes not getting a mix of things.... what should i do?

Thanks
Matt

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Matt,
You need to do a little tough love and stop feeding the romaine and just feed all the other things. He'll never starve himself and he'll be trying everything in no time when he knows he's not getting the romaine.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Matt, I tried to do that with a foster and he picked out all the lettuce too. Then I found just cutting out the Romaine all together was the best thing. As Danny said Tough Love. Eventually he will eat other greens when he gets hungry enough.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Also try chopping everything up really small and mix it really good. Try other greens that are good for leos instead of the romaine. For the hay send it through a coffee grinder and mix into the mixed up greens, wet the greens a little bit first that way the hay sticks to the food.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
You know, I was having a problem with my leopard eating too; but I inicreased the heat in his indoor 'bedroom' and then got some of the grazing tortoise mix from Carolina Pet Supply, and now, he'll eat anything! I also give him a good mix of dark greens, such as kale, beats, mustard greens, carrot top greens {and shredded zuccini & yellow squash too}

Bestest wishes for your tortie to start chowing as usual,
Purpod

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
agree strave ur tortoises for a day and half and ull see he'll eat what u give him. not the nicest way to help diversify ur tortoises food but...hey it works

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
Or... bring him outside on the green pasture and let him figure it out for himself... :)

superjet86

10 Year Member!
good news... i have been grinding up the hay and putting it in with the organic romain and he eats it all up... i have noticed groth and more activity so i think thats how im going to be doing it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.