Leopard Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

manmythlegend

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Now that I have switched to peat moss and orchid bark as Marshell's substrate I have a question-
How often (if at all) do I change it? He pretty much poops exclusively in his soaks. Because of the soak pooping there's really not any mess in his enclosure other than the stems he leaves around his food dish which I clean up daily.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use coconut coir. I first put it in last summer. I haven't changed it yet. Same as yours, he poops in his water dish or soaks. Unless it gets stinky or moldy, you shouldn't need to change it. I will be changing mine in about a month or little less. The normal substrate bugs are in the sub. So that is why I want to change it out. Plus I am re-doing it again:D

manmythlegend

5 Year Member
wellington said:
The normal substrate bugs are in the sub.

What exactly are "normal substrate bugs"? Springtails, silverfish, pill bugs...?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think the most common are springtails and gnats. Some add pill bugs to control the other bugs, as well as to act as housekeepers.

manmythlegend

5 Year Member
I was talking about adding Rolypolys to the enclosure recently but got vetoed because they're "nasty bugs". I explained that they're actually related to crabs, not crickets. This led to the "get a hermit crab" discussion which is an ongoing talk around here for the past couple of weeks. My position is that with 2 dogs, 7 aquariums and Marshell there's enough to take care of around here (I provide most of the care) without adding another thing to the mix. Pill/sow bugs I wouldn't mind because they'd basically take care of themselves.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have gone years without changing substrate. If they only poop in their soaking water or outside in the sun, I haven't had any need to change it out.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Unless you're trying to grow something in the substrate, and they don't poop or pee on the substrate, you should be good for a long time.

manmythlegend

5 Year Member
Neal said:
Unless you're trying to grow something in the substrate, and they don't poop or pee on the substrate, you should be good for a long time.

Can anyone explain what changes in the substrate are caused by growing something? Why would that impact the length of time the substrate is viable? The reason I mention it is because I thought I might stick a couple of growing edibles in there for him to nibble and/or hide out under.

Status
Not open for further replies.