Leopard Tort hatchling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wondur

5 Year Member
Hi there. New tort owner with a quick question. I have two leopard hatchlings and both eat well. They split time inside and outside. I have read up a lot on their care and they are well cared for. One loves to walk around a lot and the other doesn't walk around much. When she does she seems to walk slowly. Just curious if this is normal for one hatchling to be a ball of energy and another to be kind of lazy. Both get soaked daily and have humid and dry sides to their indoor and outdoor pens. They have hide boxes, proper lighting, and 95 degree basking area and 75 degree cool side. Thanks for the help.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Just like people, torts have differing personalities. Those behaviors might be normal. Monitor growth to ensure that those behaviors aren't the beginnings of bullying. If it seems that one hides from the other or doesn't eat as much, you might have to separate them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Although they are probably too young for bullying be sure there isn't of it going on. Is one a lot smaller then the other? All torts don't act alike, so if all is well, it's probably just the difference in them or possibly from the way one was raised, if from different breeders. Now for your set up. To off them the best, be sure to read Toms threads below in my post. They all are good for leopards. The temp of 80 with humidity of 80 would be the best. Have a basking of the 95+.

wondur

5 Year Member
Don't think it's bullying. The lazy one eats like a pig in the morning and the marathon runner eats second. Just want to make sure lazy is getting enough exercise. I have only had them about a week so I will have to monitor things.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Give it some more time to evaluate. You are still learning about them.

I have 3. My largest I have had for a year and half. He is calm, very inactive and just a "chill guy".
My smallest 2 are the same age as the large one but I have only had them 3 weeks. They are so different from him. Active is an understatement. Energetic, always on the go and hungry! I thought at first it was a sort of excitement from being in new conditions but I am now thinking it's a personality thing.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
After watching 20+ hatchlings lately, there is a lot of differences among them as far as activity level and personality. Some guys are up and about all day while others prefer to stay in the hide or under the CHE. Some guys literally come running when they see a person (in hopes of food) while others sit and watch until you pick them up.

They all have different personalities. Even my adults are very different from each other. So no reason to be concerned. Just watch for bullying and spend time with them both. Over time you will probably see some changes in activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.