Leopard Tort tank/soft shell/I am in over my head

Squirtle80

Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, CA
"Hatchling Failure Syndrome"
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/"Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome".23493/

Maybe try copy/pasting the link into your browser?
I got the tank set up with coconut coir, think I'm going to add another block of it in the morning after its soaked. I found a place that sells plexiglass scraps so I'm heading there tomorrow to see if they have anything that will fit the top of the tank. I'm posting a pic with the current lights as I'm having a hard time finding a UVB hood with decent reviews. Also, where can I find a humid hide? The only pet stores here are Petsmart and petco and they don't have anything large enough. We have no reptile stores. I went ahead and ordered CHE bulbs just to have on hand for winter if his tank temp drops too much. Also ordered a temp gun. I remember seeing a pic of someone's tank on this forum and they had little digital thermometers that also showed humidity. Can you recommend a good one? So, humid hide, digital thermometers, water dish and food dish. What else does he need inside the tank?20180921_203318.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I got the tank set up with coconut coir, think I'm going to add another block of it in the morning after its soaked. I found a place that sells plexiglass scraps so I'm heading there tomorrow to see if they have anything that will fit the top of the tank. I'm posting a pic with the current lights as I'm having a hard time finding a UVB hood with decent reviews. Also, where can I find a humid hide? The only pet stores here are Petsmart and petco and they don't have anything large enough. We have no reptile stores. I went ahead and ordered CHE bulbs just to have on hand for winter if his tank temp drops too much. Also ordered a temp gun. I remember seeing a pic of someone's tank on this forum and they had little digital thermometers that also showed humidity. Can you recommend a good one? So, humid hide, digital thermometers, water dish and food dish. What else does he need inside the tank?View attachment 252167

A pet store isn’t going to sell a humid hide. Just get a black dishwashing tub from Walmart, flip it upside down, and cut a hole for the entrance. You’ll also need a few more hides than a humid one.

It appears that you’re using a coil uvb. Those are very inefficient at producing uvb, and can even cause eye burns. It should be switched to a long tube uvb.

Be sure you get rid of the red light. I assume that’s why you’re getting the CHE.

I personally use really any digital hydrometer, and a temp gun. Here’s one that works-IMG_0795.jpg

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA
A pet store isn’t going to sell a humid hide. Just get a black dishwashing tub from Walmart, flip it upside down, and cut a hole for the entrance. You’ll also need a few more hides than a humid one.

It appears that you’re using a coil uvb. Those are very inefficient at producing uvb, and can even cause eye burns. It should be switched to a long tube uvb.

Be sure you get rid of the red light. I assume that’s why you’re getting the CHE.

I personally use really any digital hydrometer, and a temp gun. Here’s one that works-View attachment 252170

I have a black plastic tub like that! Will get that done tonight. Yes the red light will be gone when the CHE gets here the 23rd. The uvb tube is where I'm having the most trouble as all of the hoods on Amazon have very mixed reviews. And some don't even say what size bulb they hold
Also, thank you soooooooo much for all your help!! I was so lost before I happened upon this forum and the amazing people here!

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA
Ok hide is in. Should I really not use the red light while waiting for the CHE and UVB? I'm pretty sure he would get too cold at night. He's in the hottest room so day time it should be fine without the light

Attachments

• 20180921_214226.jpg
    20180921_214226.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok hide is in. Should I really not use the red light while waiting for the CHE and UVB? I'm pretty sure he would get too cold at night. He's in the hottest room so day time it should be fine without the light

Oh no, definitely Keep it in until the CHE gets here.

For the uvb hood, I believe you can go up to Home Depot or Walmart and get just a regular old fluorescent inside of a holder. Buy that, throw away the bulb, and stick the new one in. Be sure the sizes are the same.

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA
Oh no, definitely Keep it in until the CHE gets here.

For the uvb hood, I believe you can go up to Home Depot or Walmart and get just a regular old fluorescent inside of a holder. Buy that, throw away the bulb, and stick the new one in. Be sure the sizes are the same.
I'm getting more and more worried. His back legs are dragging now. He is in the new tank, the temp is 90 and 80% humidity. Is there anything else I can do? I'm in tears. I will do ANYTHING to help him!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I'm getting more and more worried. His back legs are dragging now. He is in the new tank, the temp is 90 and 80% humidity. Is there anything else I can do? I'm in tears. I will do ANYTHING to help him!

When was the last time he pooped? Have you been using uvb or calcium prior to finding the forum?

Is the shell still soft? If so, is it the entire shell, the carapace, the sides, or the plastron? Is there any discoloration?

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA
When was the last time he pooped? Have you been using uvb or calcium prior to finding the forum?

Is the shell still soft? If so, is it the entire shell, the carapace, the sides, or the plastron? Is there any discoloration?
I haven't seen him poop in a few days. I did not know about the calcium until I found this forum. The whole shell is soft, top and bottom but not like squishy, just like a plastic jar kind of soft. The only discoloration is the whitish between the scutes.20180922_162904.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I haven't seen him poop in a few days. I did not know about the calcium until I found this forum. The whole shell is soft, top and bottom but not like squishy, just like a plastic jar kind of soft. The only discoloration is the whitish between the scutes.View attachment 252260

It could be a number of things.

I would guess either constipation, or metabolic bone disease. Soak him frequently for 40+ minutes to see if you can get him to poop. Try putting the container in the enclosure to keep it warm.

A vet visit may be necessary if it’s MBD. be sure to see our vet list to find a tortoise vet near you.

turtles11756

Levittown,ny
soak him don't drown him , some morning real sunlight not too much at first be careful with those bulbs they get too hot a hide box to get away from the bulbs if he wants. he is a grass eater chop up some grass

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA
soak him don't drown him , some morning real sunlight not too much at first be careful with those bulbs they get too hot a hide box to get away from the bulbs if he wants. he is a grass eater chop up some grass
He's definitely not drowning, just soaking. He gets sunlight daily, has since I got him in February. I will bring in some grass and see if I can get him to eat. He's always loved tiny slivers of plum so I tried that but he just pulled it out of his food dish and left it.

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA
He's made a mess of breakfast, not sure if he actually ate but I am hoping he did. He's not used to kale and I'm not sure he likes it. Also looks like he got a drink since there's coir in his water. Also has anyone tried vitamin drops? I use this in the water when my cdt wakes in the spring and I soak him. It seems to perk him up faster so he starts eating sooner. Could it possibly help Squirtle if I put it in his soaking water?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I sometimes put a few drops of liquid bird vitamins in the drinking water. Just don't over do it.