Leopard Tortoise ate toxic plant ground ivy

Tortytorttort

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
So I let my tortoise out on a nice day and didn’t realize until he was already eating it that he got into some Ground Ivy, or Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea).
I’ve scoured the internet reading every possible thing I can find and really am not getting a good answer. Most sites say it’s toxic, but none tell me how toxic. He only ate a few leaves. Is this deadly? Is it going to cause him to be very sick? I put him back inside immediately after he ate it and hours have passed now and he has just been mostly staying in his shell. Hasn’t eaten anything else since. He will poke his head out but not much else. This isn’t necessary abnormal...he mostly hides in his shell whenever someone tries handling him which I have been doing since I’m nervous about this and trying to get him to be active and see how he behaves. But he won’t come out or walk around for me. I just don’t know what to think. Is this plant deadly to them? why exactly is it considered toxic? Will it just cause some stomach upset and diarrhea? Or is this a much bigger deal than That?
Please help!

YukdaTortoise

California
Creeping charlie affects the liver and other organs...
PLEASE TAKE YOUR TORTOISE TO THE VET! or it could be fatal

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The UK “Tort Table” leans on the conservative side, but says this.

• Common Name: Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie, Creeping Charley, Gill-over-the-Ground)
  • Latin Name: Glechoma hederacea, Syn. Nepeta glechoma
  • Family Name: Lamiaceae
Ground Ivy contains terpenoids and volatile oils such as pulegone that are known to irritate the liver, kidneys, and gastrointestinal tracts of mammals if consumed in sufficient quantity, so it is best to avoid feeding this plant to tortoises.

You could/should soak your tort in nice warm water, keep it well hydrated. A few leaves usually is nothing to worry too much about. Soaking always helps.