Leopard Tortoise baby not growing, Vitamins in water?

NurseJ

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I do not have a Russian but i have a Sulcata from underground and am having the exact same issues. Mine is growing very little. Still alive though ( 9mo) but VERY underweight. However looks bright, ways, goes potty and urinates well. Ive taken mine to the vet 3 times. My tort was very picky and still is. I chop the greens small. Know there is hope. Mine is starting just now to show interest in grasses and clover and dandelions from the yard which it would have nothing to do with before. Mine loves butter lettuce so i try a thin sprinkle of that to get him going over his other greens. It may not be what he needs but it seems to be the one thing he loves and it gets his appetite going. I even have used some baby butternut squash or pumpkin as a treat. I wish you the best and I’m happy you are letting your tort live it’s best life! Sorry Underground did you wrong as well. I didn’t know about this forum until after i got my tortie but a lot of the suggestions from members have really helped me! Better advice than many vets in my area can give.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That really bites. They were really expensive. I know I had to wait a few weeks for shipment. The larger one the vet couldnt save. Both still had their egg tooth. The smaller one I have now kept it for quite awhile. I wish I had read on here before I made my purchase.

If they both still had their "egg tooth" they were still very young when they were shipped and couldn't have been kept in bad conditions very long. There must have been some type of illness. I am wondering what type of soil/substrate you have in your "Tortoise table" where you are growing seeds. I agree with Zeropilot that seeds should be grown outside of the tortoise enclosure. I believe too many people are using soils that have probably come from composting and these soils aren't healthy for baby tortoises. Even soils that say Natural can come from a composting source. Also, how in the world are you keeping your humidity up with a "tortoise table"? I have found it only possible to keep humidity up in a "closed chamber" enclosure. Change the substrate completely using small sized "orchid bark" that will be wet underneath yet be dry on the top layer. I believe you should be able to save this baby. Don't worry about him/her eating Mazuri right now. Just keep offering it from time to time. Good Luck!

jeannettep

Texas
If they both still had their "egg tooth" they were still very young when they were shipped and couldn't have been kept in bad conditions very long. There must have been some type of illness. I am wondering what type of soil/substrate you have in your "Tortoise table" where you are growing seeds. I agree with Zeropilot that seeds should be grown outside of the tortoise enclosure. I believe too many people are using soils that have probably come from composting and these soils aren't healthy for baby tortoises. Even soils that say Natural can come from a composting source. Also, how in the world are you keeping your humidity up with a "tortoise table"? I have found it only possible to keep humidity up in a "closed chamber" enclosure. Change the substrate completely using small sized "orchid bark" that will be wet underneath yet be dry on the top layer. I believe you should be able to save this baby. Don't worry about him/her eating Mazuri right now. Just keep offering it from time to time. Good Luck!
I know probably the main reason the seeds arent taking well is because I'm trying to grow it in coconut husk with damp sphagnum in a small section. But if I could just get it to grow enough for it to graze a little that would be great. I've had success with oat seed. I started the seed yesterday in the greenhouse. I'm using soil from my yard since I know what I've done to it. In the tort table the purchased one with the grid over 1 section. I keep covered with foil. Since I enjoy watching it walk around, I put in a web cam. To keep the wood from getting wet I put a layer of foil on the bottom. Then I have coconut mat to make sure it stays covered. Then I use orchid bark mostly on top with sphagnum moss in a few piles in places. Hosta seems to do ok in there. I have a humidifier & inkbird so it turns off. I have more of a problem with wet, not humid. Theres high humidity here anyways so I think I'm just replenishing what the lamps burn off. But I like my air conditioning so I have problems with keeping it warm enough. Best I've been able to do for a basking spot is 94. The current humidity in our house is 84%, in the tort house its 98%. Outside its 94%. I remove & toss the substrate every month, except for the mat & wipe the wood down with apple cider vinegar. I try to get a couple months out of the mat.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know probably the main reason the seeds arent taking well is because I'm trying to grow it in coconut husk with damp sphagnum in a small section. But if I could just get it to grow enough for it to graze a little that would be great. I've had success with oat seed. I started the seed yesterday in the greenhouse. I'm using soil from my yard since I know what I've done to it. In the tort table the purchased one with the grid over 1 section. I keep covered with foil. Since I enjoy watching it walk around, I put in a web cam. To keep the wood from getting wet I put a layer of foil on the bottom. Then I have coconut mat to make sure it stays covered. Then I use orchid bark mostly on top with sphagnum moss in a few piles in places. Hosta seems to do ok in there. I have a humidifier & inkbird so it turns off. I have more of a problem with wet, not humid. Theres high humidity here anyways so I think I'm just replenishing what the lamps burn off. But I like my air conditioning so I have problems with keeping it warm enough. Best I've been able to do for a basking spot is 94. The current humidity in our house is 84%, in the tort house its 98%. Outside its 94%. I remove & toss the substrate every month, except for the mat & wipe the wood down with apple cider vinegar. I try to get a couple months out of the mat.
That sounds good, but be careful with sphagnum moss because if they eat it, and they will, it can create problems with impaction.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I do not have a Russian but i have a Sulcata from underground and am having the exact same issues. Mine is growing very little. Still alive though ( 9mo) but VERY underweight. However looks bright, ways, goes potty and urinates well. Ive taken mine to the vet 3 times. My tort was very picky and still is. I chop the greens small. Know there is hope. Mine is starting just now to show interest in grasses and clover and dandelions from the yard which it would have nothing to do with before. Mine loves butter lettuce so i try a thin sprinkle of that to get him going over his other greens. It may not be what he needs but it seems to be the one thing he loves and it gets his appetite going. I even have used some baby butternut squash or pumpkin as a treat. I wish you the best and I’m happy you are letting your tort live it’s best life! Sorry Underground did you wrong as well. I didn’t know about this forum until after i got my tortie but a lot of the suggestions from members have really helped me! Better advice than many vets in my area can give.
I also have a 9 mo old Sulcata. Dexter is doing nicely 1.4 lbs about 6 1/2 in
Feed him cactus pads really good for him . Optunia is what you want. I cut it up for him and he does great.Rather than butter lettuce use spring mix, not the best but better than butter lettuce. Good luck!

phoenix988

5 Year Member
My little one just home a week, she is a bit picky as well, only take a little bit of Mazuri (the old vision big one), I have been given her Timothy Hay (cut to small bits), Dandelion Green, Lamb's Letter/Corn Salad, Spineless cactus pads and Wheat Grass and dust with Miner-All Calcium/Mineral Supplement. she likes all the Greens.
Also, I have just bought "Nutribac Dietary Supplement for Reptiles & Amphibians" from Amazon, Sold by ProSource Pets. this is the ONLY ONE ORIGINAL SELLER on the entire of Amazon.
You may dust with the food or just mix up with the drinking water.
just give it a try, hopefully, it will work for yours and mine.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
My little one just home a week, she is a bit picky as well, only take a little bit of Mazuri (the old vision big one), I have been given her Timothy Hay (cut to small bits), Dandelion Green, Lamb's Letter/Corn Salad, Spineless cactus pads and Wheat Grass and dust with Miner-All Calcium/Mineral Supplement. she likes all the Greens.
Also, I have just bought "Nutribac Dietary Supplement for Reptiles & Amphibians" from Amazon, Sold by ProSource Pets. this is the ONLY ONE ORIGINAL SELLER on the entire of Amazon.
You may dust with the food or just mix up with the drinking water.
just give it a try, hopefully, it will work for yours and mine.
Just remember to soak the pellets until they are mushy! Mine loves his

jeannettep

Texas
That sounds good, but be careful with sphagnum moss because if they eat it, and they will, it can create problems with impaction.
Thanks! I was wondering about that. I got more orchid bark, of course I don't want that to be eaten either!

jeannettep

Texas
If we decide to try again. She was the larger South African Leopard. Are they just too delicate? It's so heart breaking. Are there suggested breeders? I don't want another problem. My husband has 3 red foots that are doing fantastic their juvies. Is it just impossible to raise these from hatchlings?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Lots of TFO'ers have raised them from actual hatchlings and had no issues. It is all in the Setups- too dry is deadly in the long run. The old school of raise them how the are living in the wild is often way off since it has been proven that babies do better in warm/humid conditions that are tighly controlled. I am way to chicken to do Tortstork but many have with excellent success. A bad start is just sometimes too much to overcome and the new owner pays the price-literally

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So bummed. She died.
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this. @Tom raises the Spp Leopards with great success. He would be the very best source from which you should purchase your next Leopards. I am so sorry this has happened to you. In time I hope you try again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If we decide to try again. She was the larger South African Leopard. Are they just too delicate? It's so heart breaking. Are there suggested breeders? I don't want another problem. My husband has 3 red foots that are doing fantastic their juvies. Is it just impossible to raise these from hatchlings?
Sorry to hear that your tortoise didn't make it? Where did you get it? Was it soaked daily and kept warm and humid? Most breeders keep them outside all day and soak infrequently.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry to hear that your tortoise didn't make it? Where did you get it? Was it soaked daily and kept warm and humid? Most breeders keep them outside all day and soak infrequently.
I believe she purchased 2 Spp from Underground Reptiles and they both have perished. So sad.

jeannettep

Texas
I believe she purchased 2 Spp from Underground Reptiles and they both have perished. So sad.
Yes I bought them there. This one made it 10 months. Never grew. I soaked at least 1x a day, most times 2x a day. Everyone was so helpful with ideas. My problem was heat. But I got that under control and have a beautiful field of tort grasses in a greenhouse. Spoke to Tom and we may try again. My husband was upset, as he found her. He didn't expect her to go even though we had talked about what happened.

jeannettep

Texas
This was over new years.

Attachments

• 20191211_180454.jpg
    20191211_180454.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 9

phoenix988

5 Year Member
Keeping leopard is like keeping Discus tropical fish. Everything but the temperature temperature and temperature. Leopard needs high temperature at the all-times. Day and night’s temperature never below 28 degrees Celsius, leopard doesn't really care about the humidity, 50% humidity will be ok for them. All the matter is temperature.
And if your leopard can drink water itself, get some ” Nutribac dd ” from Amazon, it really helps. Just mix it with water let them drink it.
Once again, temperature, temperature, and temperature.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Keeping leopard is like keeping Discus tropical fish. Everything but the temperature temperature and temperature. Leopard needs high temperature at the all-times. Day and night’s temperature never below 28 degrees Celsius, leopard doesn't really care about the humidity, 50% humidity will be ok for them. All the matter is temperature.
And if your leopard can drink water itself, get some ” Nutribac dd ” from Amazon, it really helps. Just mix it with water let them drink it.
Once again, temperature, temperature, and temperature.

I have found humidity to be very helpful for Leopard Tortoise Hatchlings good growth and long term health. Higher Humidity has a powerful impact on organ function, especially the kidneys. Thank you so much for the suggestion of the Nutribac in the water. I really like this idea, especially following an illness or God forbid antibiotics.

Luna22

NJ
Riann G.(The owner, not the other Ryan there) at UNDERGROUND, keeps almost all of his juvenile tortoises on rabbit pellets.
I mentioned that on a recent trip there, I saw dust all over his Redfoot hatchlings for sale.
Actual dust.
So, I suppose it comes down to how long he held them and who hatched them and how he or she kept them.
Tortoises not "started" correctly rarely thrive and often have very short lives.
There may or may not be anything that you are doing wrong.
After knowing UNDERGROUND REPTILES and his previous business BOX OF SNAKES. I can say that he's a good guy. An honest man.
But cash is king. And I do not recommend his animals to our members.
I DO recommend SOUTHERN REPTILES. He is also local to me and he still has passion and compassion for his animals.
(He's also named Ryan)
I'd also recommend growing your feeding grass in a separate enclosure or you will have endless difficulty.
Just my 2 cents posted too late to help.
Crazy u say southern reptiles when I just messaged him a week ago about a leopard tortoise and no response