Leopard Tortoise Care? Tell me ALL of it please!!

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey all, as mentioned in another thread, I am planning on getting a Leopard Tortoise within the next few years. This will be my fourth tort and I have never had experience with large tortoises of my own, I would like to know everything that I must know to be ready for another blessing in my life. I plan on either buying a hatchling, or finding one that needs rescue. I would like to prepare my self as much as possible within the next few years to be completely ready and prepped for another addition, some of you might stick around for my journey, and others may not, and that’s okay, I appreciate all the information and help I can absorb! Thank you all!!!

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Would a 8 by 4 work well for an enclosure size? I saw in Neals thread that he uses 50 gallon tubs for the LTs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all, as mentioned in another thread, I am planning on getting a Leopard Tortoise within the next few years. This will be my fourth tort and I have never had experience with large tortoises of my own, I would like to know everything that I must know to be ready for another blessing in my life. I plan on either buying a hatchling, or finding one that needs rescue. I would like to prepare my self as much as possible within the next few years to be completely ready and prepped for another addition, some of you might stick around for my journey, and others may not, and that’s okay, I appreciate all the information and help I can absorb! Thank you all!!!
Wish granted:
Would a 8 by 4 work well for an enclosure size? I saw in Neals thread that he uses 50 gallon tubs for the LTs.
You can start babies in 50 gallon tubs, but I prefer a larger area for them. I start mine in a 48x30" closed chamber. A 4x8 foot enclosure will last until they are about 8-10 inches long. After that size, I let them live outside with heated shelters for night and cold days. In some climates, they can't live outside in winter and need room sized enclosures.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Wish granted:

You can start babies in 50 gallon tubs, but I prefer a larger area for them. I start mine in a 48x30" closed chamber. A 4x8 foot enclosure will last until they are about 8-10 inches long. After that size, I let them live outside with heated shelters for night and cold days. In some climates, they can't live outside in winter and need room sized enclosures.
You are literally a hero! Thank you so much, and yes, I was thinking like a 8x 4 outdoor enclosure for an adult?