Leopard tortoise growth chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Does anyone know a good leopard tortoise growth chart? The only one I could find is this: http://www.africantortoises.co.uk/leopards.html

And I am not sure what all those numbers are on the bottom (the 4 8 12 16 etc). When the bottom says years, but has all those in there.

It says at 1 year he should be 80grams give or take. But mine is 70g at 4 months. He doesn't look chubby by any means. So I don't know if this chart is out-dated.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Rob,

Don't expect your tort to follow any specific growth pattern. They will all grow at different rates, depending on genetics, food supply, etc.

Instead, create your own growth chart by measuring and weighing him once or twice a month. You are just looking for steady weight gain and growth. This will also let you know if he has any problems if his weight starts falling off. I started charting both of my young ones when I got them, and they both grow at different rates.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Greg T said:
Rob,

Don't expect your tort to follow any specific growth pattern. They will all grow at different rates, depending on genetics, food supply, etc.

Instead, create your own growth chart by measuring and weighing him once or twice a month. You are just looking for steady weight gain and growth. This will also let you know if he has any problems if his weight starts falling off. I started charting both of my young ones when I got them, and they both grow at different rates.

Thanks. Yes I plan on weighing him every week for the first couple months. Have a chart made. I was just looking at something to compare for rough estimates. Weighing him tomorrow (got him last wednesday).

How much on average though should he be gaining in weight each week? Only a couple grams or?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
How much on average though should he be gaining in weight each week? Only a couple grams or?

Not sure how much he will gain, but all you are really looking for is some gain. Mine were older when I started, but they have almost doubled in weight in a year. Yours may grow faster since it is younger.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Can you find a chart based just on weight and SCL? That way you can look up an appropriate weight for his SCL. I like the idea of making your own chart. I do this for my little guy. With him not looking "chubby" you are probably fine. Just keep an eye on it. I was able to quickly notice my tort gaining more weight than he should be for his shell length so I cut back on food a bit. It's easy to adjust.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
Can you find a chart based just on weight and SCL? That way you can look up an appropriate weight for his SCL. I like the idea of making your own chart. I do this for my little guy. With him not looking "chubby" you are probably fine. Just keep an eye on it. I was able to quickly notice my tort gaining more weight than he should be for his shell length so I cut back on food a bit. It's easy to adjust.

I did about 20 google searches with variations of "leopard tortoise growth chart" or "leopard tortoise SCL chart with weight" etc. That website was the only one I could find.

I will try some more, but there might not be one, besides ones in books you'd buy for $20.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I guess those with Russians, Sulcatas, Greeks, and Hermanns are lucky as I've seen those.

ShockWave17

5 Year Member
Tortoises or land turtles are land-dwelling reptiles of the family of Testudinidae, order Testudines. Like their marine cousins, the sea turtles, tortoises are shielded from predators by a shell.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
It looks like the graph you linked is weight by week. So it starts at 24 weeks old, and goes up from there. 1 Year, 1 year 4 weeks, 1year 8 weeks, 1 year 12 weeks etc (52 weeks/year).

Status
Not open for further replies.