Leopard Tortoise Heated Night Box

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Hi Heather! I'm curious, this thermostat says its for heating mats, will it work for my CHE? If so, how does it connect to the heater?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I made a copy of this heated night box.

Great idea for all torts and all weather! ! !

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I like how you made your door. The snug fit with the overlap.
Because my door sits inside the opening, I get moisture build up there and it's only a matter of time before I have to re do it.

Emblakley13

Newcastle, OK
I know these posts are old but I was really hoping to see pictures but they're all saying an error has occurred ? help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know these posts are old but I was really hoping to see pictures but they're all saying an error has occurred ? help?
Here are some examples. In your area, these boxes would only work during the warmer months. What species have you got?

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
also, are you still using it
whats the make and model of the oil heater? where did you buy it from?

AbeTheRussianTort

Los Angeles
I did my best to copy Tom's "Best Night Box Design Yet" as seen in his thread here.. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

I'm not a super "handy-woman" but I have used a fair share of tools. If a stay at home mom (like me) can build this, then anyone can!

It was fairly easy to do and I only have a few battle wounds :p

I decided to make it 4'x 2'x 2' with a 12"x 12" door.

I used 2x2s for the framing and plywood for the walls. The roof, door, floor and walls are all insulated with 1.5" thick rigid foam insulation.
I caulked the corners and edges.
Weather stripping is used around the top.

I overlapped 2 layers of vinyl stripping for the door flaps.

The heater is a mini oil filled heat radiator.

The total cost was about $150. I had some of the materials already or it would have cost more. But I'm sure the expense will be worth it when I save on the monthly electric bill!

Here are the photos:

Started as a simple frame:
5mj0hy.jpg

Insulating the roof:
2mds61j.jpg

Putting up the outer plywood walls and the insulation:
2h65ymb.jpg

Covering all the insulation with inner plywood walls:
14n2y6o.jpg

Insulating the floor:
zk0har.jpg

All covered up:
35andk2.jpg

2d6nx3l.jpg

Painting:
nbw4qr.jpg

Adding the door flaps:
2cz7w5y.jpg

I used roofing shingles for traction on the door. The step up to the door ramp was too steep so I made an extra ramp. The door locks at night and I simply move the extra ramp off to the side:
30bny84.jpg

Putting in the oil filled radiator. I wanted to keep the turtles away from it with a barrier. The hardware cloth wall came about by accident but I'm very pleased with it. I caulked around the bottom so hay can't slip under there:
1zvz6s7.jpg

30ijrky.jpg

2r2yjp0.jpg

The turtles already enjoy it:
n6b28l.jpg

2w3w22f.jpg

The house sits next to my husband's tool shed and under a covering. It's protected from rain and will be kept cool in the shade of the block wall during summer:
34es3s2.jpg

Right now I'm using the radiator's internal thermostat. It's keeps a steady 80-83F. These guys only have access to the house during the day. At night they come inside to sleep in a humid chamber and I turn the heater off and lock the house door. Once they sleep in here I'll set it up with a digital thermostat.

Hope this helps anyone else build one of these wonderful tort houses. I'm sure as my herd grows (either in number or individual's size) I'll have to make another, larger one. But for now, this suits us just perfectly!

Hello!! I am trying to see the pictures from my iphone but they didn’t load.
Winter is coming in a week in SoCal… i need to get this done this week… :(

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I did my best to copy Tom's "Best Night Box Design Yet" as seen in his thread here.. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

I'm not a super "handy-woman" but I have used a fair share of tools. If a stay at home mom (like me) can build this, then anyone can!

It was fairly easy to do and I only have a few battle wounds :p

I decided to make it 4'x 2'x 2' with a 12"x 12" door.

I used 2x2s for the framing and plywood for the walls. The roof, door, floor and walls are all insulated with 1.5" thick rigid foam insulation.
I caulked the corners and edges.
Weather stripping is used around the top.

I overlapped 2 layers of vinyl stripping for the door flaps.

The heater is a mini oil filled heat radiator.

The total cost was about $150. I had some of the materials already or it would have cost more. But I'm sure the expense will be worth it when I save on the monthly electric bill!

Here are the photos:

Started as a simple frame:
5mj0hy.jpg

Insulating the roof:
2mds61j.jpg

Putting up the outer plywood walls and the insulation:
2h65ymb.jpg

Covering all the insulation with inner plywood walls:
14n2y6o.jpg

Insulating the floor:
zk0har.jpg

All covered up:
35andk2.jpg

2d6nx3l.jpg

Painting:
nbw4qr.jpg

Adding the door flaps:
2cz7w5y.jpg

I used roofing shingles for traction on the door. The step up to the door ramp was too steep so I made an extra ramp. The door locks at night and I simply move the extra ramp off to the side:
30bny84.jpg

Putting in the oil filled radiator. I wanted to keep the turtles away from it with a barrier. The hardware cloth wall came about by accident but I'm very pleased with it. I caulked around the bottom so hay can't slip under there:
1zvz6s7.jpg

30ijrky.jpg

2r2yjp0.jpg

The turtles already enjoy it:
n6b28l.jpg

2w3w22f.jpg

The house sits next to my husband's tool shed and under a covering. It's protected from rain and will be kept cool in the shade of the block wall during summer:
34es3s2.jpg

Right now I'm using the radiator's internal thermostat. It's keeps a steady 80-83F. These guys only have access to the house during the day. At night they come inside to sleep in a humid chamber and I turn the heater off and lock the house door. Once they sleep in here I'll set it up with a digital thermostat.

Hope this helps anyone else build one of these wonderful tort houses. I'm sure as my herd grows (either in number or individual's size) I'll have to make another, larger one. But for now, this suits us just perfectly!
I couldn't call up any photos, but congratulations on the doing of it. For therapy I used to build chicken housing. Such satisfaction.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!! I am trying to see the pictures from my iphone but they didn’t load.
Winter is coming in a week in SoCal… i need to get this done this week… :(
Check Tom's post just slightly above of yours. He provides links to night box designs, you can find step by step instructions, photos and discussions there. If you have indoors enclosure you can simply bring your tortoise inside for the night (if you don't intend to brumate/hibernate it, of course).

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
also, are you still using it
whats the make and model of the oil heater? where did you buy it from?
Yes, I'm still using the box.

I bought a mini oil filled radiator for WalMart. I'm still using the same one, going on 10 years. They likely have new models out. Just be sure you get a mini so it's short enough to fit in the house.