Leopard Tortoise not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

spadget

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

We have a leopard tortoise, maybe 8 or 9 years old. She usually lives outside as we live in a hot climate.

Anyway, I noticed about 3 days ago she stopped eating. I've brought her inside as we had some especially windy days so thought maybe she was getting a bit chilly, although it never drops below 15°C. While inside she has eaten a small amount of lettuce yesterday but thats it. She's not touching anything else, including her cuttle fish which she normally loves chasing round. We just got her the lettuce as a last resort because we know she loves it, although we rarely give it to her.

Other than the not eating properly, she seems completely fine. Her eyes are normal, shes walking about and basking under her light.

I just wondered if you guys think its cause to take her straight to the vet (which will be pricey) or if I should just keep observing her for a while longer. Does it sound like she's just got a bit cold and lost her appetite? Can leopard tortoises show hibernation symptoms even though they dont hibernate? How long will she be ok without much food before I need to start really worrying?

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would venture to guess its the change of housing. From outside, which I'm sure she loved to no indoors, which I'm sure she doesn't like as well. Torts can go quite some time without eating. Like a week or so. I wouldn't worry at this point. As long as everything else seems okay. I would keep an eye on her for any changes, but I wouldn't take her to a vet at this point yet.

spadget

5 Year Member
Ok thanks, will keep an eye on her for now then. Just to point out though, I only brought her inside after I realised she wasn't eating, because I thought the cooler weather may have been the cause. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Hope she pulls out of it soon, I really hate it when something's not right!

Bearder2006

5 Year Member
I'm having the same problem with my leopard he has always been indoors he is just not intrested only thing it it eat is a bit of strawberry tried dry foods dandelion leaves rocket, straw weeds water cress
He has lost weight as well
Looks like a trip to the vets

Status
Not open for further replies.