Leopard Tortoise Size

SJK1500

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello, I’m new to this forum but I have a possible problem and so I decided to try out this forum. I’ve had my leopard tortoise Oogway for about 5 years now, and his shell seems healthy as well as in general. But... he’s only 4 1/2 inches long. This has been very concerning for me lately and right now I’m separated from him as my family and I just moved out of state, so my friend is temporarily taking care of him. I’ll hopefully have him back soon. Is this a problem? His size I mean. I’m worried.

Arizona
I can’t for sure tell you but I have heard that it takes anywhere from 12-15 years for a leopard tortoise to reach its full size. Your tortoises does look a little small but I would possibly find a vet if you are concerned about his growth. He is a cutie though :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can’t for sure tell you but I have heard that it takes anywhere from 12-15 years for a leopard tortoise to reach its full size. Your tortoises does look a little small but I would possibly find a vet if you are concerned about his growth. He is a cutie though :)
At 11-12 years, it should be around 12 or more inches. Not quite full grown I don't believe either at only 12-15.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, he is quite small for that age. At 3 years of age, my hatchlings had already reached 6-10 inches.
How are you housing him? What are you feeding, how much, how often?
What temps are you housing him at, day, night, basking?
What's the humidity at, should be 80%.
Give us a full run down of everything that is done and used for him.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Hello, I’m new to this forum but I have a possible problem and so I decided to try out this forum. I’ve had my leopard tortoise Oogway for about 5 years now, and his shell seems healthy as well as in general. But... he’s only 4 1/2 inches long. This has been very concerning for me lately and right now I’m separated from him as my family and I just moved out of state, so my friend is temporarily taking care of him. I’ll hopefully have him back soon. Is this a problem? His size I mean. I’m worried.
Welcome.