Leopard Tortoise Substrate Height Recommendation (non-hatchling size)

Wrts1289

Location (City and/or State)
Sterling Heights, michigan
After doing a lot of reading regarding correct substrate for my tortoise versus what was recommended in the past, I am inquiring of the correct substrate height for her terrarium. Also attempting to calculate the approximate amount of square feet I will need to purchase to reach this height. Current size is 8' x 4'

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When I housed hatchlings indoors, I had enough substrate so they could dig into a bury themselves into it. The deep substrate helped with moisture retention and had to be deep enough for my potted plants. I was very happy with it.
477 094.jpg
477 023.jpg

Here you can see the top of a baby shell. *Although other tortoise keepers here on TFO have said their tortoises will try to eat sphagnum moss, mine never did. So in my case, it made a great addition to my more humid spots in the enclosure.

With my adult leopard, who lives outside, my only concern is enough dirt in his house to hold some moisture. I regularly have to add more because he drags it out of his house every time he exits the door. But I'd say it's only a few inches thick in any given spot.
An older photo but gives you the idea:
20200419_174027.jpg

Outside, his substrate depth is, well, endless! Despite that, he NEVER digs. ever. It's one of the reasons why I have a leopard and not a sulcata!!
He's only ever loved to dig into thick, bushy, tall grasses. Even then, it's not really digging.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
After doing a lot of reading regarding correct substrate for my tortoise versus what was recommended in the past, I am inquiring of the correct substrate height for her terrarium. Also attempting to calculate the approximate amount of square feet I will need to purchase to reach this height. Current size is 8' x 4'
Agree with all @Team Gomberg said.

SO if you want to go 3" deep (1/4 ft) in an 8x4 enclosure;

8x4=32 sq ft
.25x32=8 cu ft

Some is sold by the dry quart and about 27 dry quarts are in a cu ft.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Around 3-4 inches is good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any recommended bulk suppliers for substrate?
I get my orchid bark from local plant nurseries, but I understand it is difficult to find out east. You could try your local places and ask if they can order you 2.0 cu. ft. bags of "fine grade orchid bark". We pay about $12 a bag out here. They sell the pet store stuff at around $30 for 24 quarts. My $12 bags are around 60 quarts each.

Wrts1289

Sterling Heights, michigan
I get my orchid bark from local plant nurseries, but I understand it is difficult to find out east. You could try your local places and ask if they can order you 2.0 cu. ft. bags of "fine grade orchid bark". We pay about $12 a bag out here. They sell the pet store stuff at around $30 for 24 quarts. My $12 bags are around 60 quarts each.
Do you know if the supplier you go to can send to Michigan? I am having a hard time finding a supplier that doesn't require I buy tons of bags.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you know if the supplier you go to can send to Michigan? I am having a hard time finding a supplier that doesn't require I buy tons of bags.
I don't think so. I know J.B. Stone also sells it, but I have no idea how easy that would be to get over there. I looked into shipping it myself, but the $12 bags would cost $20 to ship. I'd have to charge something for time and gas, but that would still be cheaper than buying 3 24 quart bags of Repti-bark.

Here is the one I have been using for around 10 years:
Orchid Bark.JPG