Leopard??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I'm thinking of acquiring 2 male leopard tortoise..The question is can two male leopard tortoises be housed together without territorial issues??

Thought opinions??

Thanks in advance..

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Shouldn't be a problem. How do they compare in size?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Are they already housed together?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
From what I am told..they are housed togther... Going to drive out the three hrs to see them this week..

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Tony the tank said:
From what I am told..they are housed togther... Going to drive out the three hrs to see them this week..
[/quote

Are they the ones on CL for $500 in Hartford??

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Tony the tank said:
[/quote

Are they the ones on CL for $500 in Hartford??

Those are the ones...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Here are some pics..They look a little pyramided....thoughts??

Try again

image-440961012.png

image-2651305775.png

image-3244350715.png

image-940822175.png

Attachments

• image-3030283848.png
    image-3030283848.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3837119901.png
    image-3837119901.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2519229959.png
    image-2519229959.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 61

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are beautiful....hey Hector, where are you going to house these guys during the winter when they are 90 pounds???? :D:D:D:D:D

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Angela..I'm expanding my enclosures in my basement again this yr...but by this time next yr.. I expect to be in Fla... Just waiting for the step daughter to spread her wings and cut the umbilical cord..Because it won't stretch that far:rolleyes:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh Hector, I was just funnin ya anyways :D But yup, Florida would be much warmer and awesome humidity....nice ....however, I think you may need to keep an extra room for your daughter.....I AM CERTAIN she would like to visit the sunny warm no snow state :D As I said, they are beautiful little torts....:tort::tort:

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
If she wants to visit in Fla...I'll get her a hotel room.. She went on her own 2 yrs ago(with 10k to help her get started)she came to visit on the guise she missed us..."she missed us..(yeah right)"...Well it's now been over a yr.....And I really can't take the constant drama...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well I'm done venting... What do you think is a fair price for these two male leopards..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would not know that price factor Hector....I bet there are others here that would know that.....I don't purchase, I only adopt or rescue....so I do not know prices...:D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they are VERY pyrimided and I would wait till you move to florida to get any more critters..
a basement just isnt ideal...
but that just my 2c.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
A pair of leopard tortoises can be kept in a 10 foot by 10 foot pen. The walls should be at least 18 inches high and may be made of wood, block or other material that prevents the tortoise from seeing through the wall. Leopard tortoises are not escape artists and do not climb, burrow, or display the aggressive breeding, biting and ramming that the Mediterranean species do. Multiple males and females may be kept together as they are not territorial like African spurred tortoises.

Hector, this seems to be a sentiment I am finding in every where I am researching....hope this helps....and good luck with what ever you should take on :D

Katherine

5 Year Member
ascott said:
A pair of leopard tortoises can be kept in a 10 foot by 10 foot pen. The walls should be at least 18 inches high and may be made of wood, block or other material that prevents the tortoise from seeing through the wall. Leopard tortoises are not escape artists and do not climb, burrow, or display the aggressive breeding, biting and ramming that the Mediterranean species do. Multiple males and females may be kept together as they are not territorial like African spurred tortoises.

Hector, this seems to be a sentiment I am finding in every where I am researching....hope this helps....and good luck with what ever you should take on :D

In my experience I have found all of the above to be true and agree with all of the above save one thing; 10x10 is NOT (in my opinion obviously) enough space for a pair of adult leopards. If I put two of mine in an enclosure that size they would graze it to bare dirt in less than 48 hours. I use a 7x22 pen for quarantine and recently had two 7 year old leopards in there; they got so restless; paced the walls constantly, began to act quarrelsome with eachother and even started to dig in a few spots (I have never otherwise seen one of my leopard tortoise dig unless gravid and nesting) and I ended up having to enlarge the quarantine and offer numerous distractions to see them through their stay there. If you have the space to go bigger I would recommend a much larger enclosure, remembering too that if you maximize the enclosure now you are less likely to have to refigure it each year as they continue to grow. If you do have limited space and end up with a smaller enclosure I find visual barriers like bushes, large rocks and logs that interfer with the line of sight can help prevent leopards from acting restless in a smaller space. Just my personal observations and opinion, good luck to you!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
10x10 is NOT (in my opinion obviously) enough space for a pair of adult leopards.

I kinda thought that would be too small for a normal all the time enclosure as well, not because I know first hand with Leopards, but because it just seemed a little small....

Katherine, Hector does house his torts indoors during winter due to the extreme weather (freezing cold)...so the indoor enclosure would likely be smaller than what they would experience in the warmer months were they can then be outside....this is my understanding anyhoooo :D

Awesome and thank you for your valuable information, I appreciate it :D

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Let us know when you go look at them!! Pics please! I was considering taking a look at them, but I don't have the room for two...

Status
Not open for further replies.