Leopards in the PNW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I don't plan to get a leopard any time soon, BUT I would like to in a few years. I currently have 4 Russian tortoises and a Greek tortoise (kept separately, of course). All spend significant time outside during the Summer, and during the winter have to be in their tort tables because it's cold here. I use good 10.0 desert UVB during the indoor months, basking temp is 95-102, and room temp is 68-70. I'm no n00b to tortoises, but have never cared for a leopard.

My question: are there many folks on here who have had success raising BABY leopards here in the Pacific North West? It is pretty humid here, and I know that this can cause respiratory problems. I know that babies need to be soaked often, and actually thrive from having humidity in their enclosure (helps their shells be smooth). However, 2 separate people with a decent amount of experience have told me: "Baby leopards don't do well here in the PNW."

Any input?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Were they forum members that told you that? Just curious, as I have not heard of anyone having any problems. There are many in various parts of California that has leopards. There is also a lot of people in the very humid state of Florida with leopards. Hot and humid is not really a problem with leopards. Cold and humid is a sick leopard and a dripping wet enclosure can be a problem. But, otherwise, it shouldn't be a big deal.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
No, the folks who said that are not forum members, but they do have 30+ years of experience with reptiles.

It gets pretty cold here in WA State... very different from Cali. It is hot and humid in the Summer, and I know that wouldn't be a problem... I guess I'd just have to be extra sure to regulate the temps in the winter indoor-enclosure well. The Russians are a little more flexible with that, they have their warm basking area, and the rest of their tort table is room temp.

wellington said:
Were they forum members that told you that? Just curious, as I have not heard of anyone having any problems. There are many in various parts of California that has leopards. There is also a lot of people in the very humid state of Florida with leopards. Hot and humid is not really a problem with leopards. Cold and humid is a sick leopard and a dripping wet enclosure can be a problem. But, otherwise, it shouldn't be a big deal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
30+ years experience is nice. However, it doesn't mean they know the correct way of doing things in the year 2013. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. However, There are still many experienced breeders and keepers telling people the wrong way to raise a tortoise. I live in Chicago. Very cold winters and very warm to hot summers and can have high humidity a lot of the times. I only have an almost two year old. However, I don't foresee any problems. When he is an adult, he will live outside 24/7 with heated enclosure of course:)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
I agree, and that's one reason why I'm asking on here rather than just taking the info at face value.

Yeah, Leopards do get quite a bit bigger. I 'met' some male Leopards a bit ago that were about 30, but actually smaller than I expected. I was expecting sulcata-ish dimensions, and was pleasantly surprised. They were close to 16 or so inches, still easy to lift.

One more reason I likely won't get a Leo until in 10 or so years is so I can provide the heated outdoor enclosure - I don't think it would be happy indoors half the year once fully grown... right now I can justify outdoor enclosures for the Russians and the Greek (separate), but don't want to take even more yard from the kids.

wellington said:
30+ years experience is nice. However, it doesn't mean they know the correct way of doing things in the year 2013. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. However, There are still many experienced breeders and keepers telling people the wrong way to raise a tortoise. I live in Chicago. Very cold winters and very warm to hot summers and can have high humidity a lot of the times. I only have an almost two year old. However, I don't foresee any problems. When he is an adult, he will live outside 24/7 with heated enclosure of course:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ah, yes, I couldn't have had mine either if my child was still young. He had the yard then. Now that I have it back, I am giving up half to the tort:D It does sometimes take a little more work in some states, then others. However, the leopard is one that doesn't get shell rot as easy as some others do. In the spring and fall, when the temps aren't quite warm enough, he's almost two, I have a pop up green house I can put him in to extend the outdoor time. I have a heater for incase. Waiting ten years, wow, don't know if I could. But heck, by then the way the temps are changing, us northern colder states might then be the tropics:D

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Haha, not going to rely on global warming to take care of my tort-heating-needs... ;) I would rather wait 10 years and do it properly. :) Unless somebody just happens to drop a baby leopard tort in my lap before then.... *cough*

wellington said:
Ah, yes, I couldn't have had mine either if my child was still young. He had the yard then. Now that I have it back, I am giving up half to the tort:D It does sometimes take a little more work in some states, then others. However, the leopard is one that doesn't get shell rot as easy as some others do. In the spring and fall, when the temps aren't quite warm enough, he's almost two, I have a pop up green house I can put him in to extend the outdoor time. I have a heater for incase. Waiting ten years, wow, don't know if I could. But heck, by then the way the temps are changing, us northern colder states might then be the tropics:D

Status
Not open for further replies.