Lethargic baby leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tysleopardglenn

5 Year Member
So I have had my baby leopard for two days now and I'm trying to figure out what normal behavior is? He tends to sleep quite a bit and bury himself in his moss I know the temps are correct but should he be walking around and alert all the time or what is normal behavior. He is eating and pooped in his water dish this afternoon but I wanna make sure he is ok. Also he does this weird thing where he like pokes in and out of his shell without ever coming all the way out I think he is sleeping it is just weird! Help!! ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365632849.953334.jpg this is what he is doing now!

Last edited by a moderator:

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Babies hide a lot, especially as they adjust to a new area . Eating, drinking, and eliminating waste are great signs. What are your temps?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Is the entire enclosure like that? He may have a hard time walking through all that moss and just get tired.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Id say sleeping and hiding a lot are normal for babies yes, especially while they get used to new surroundings and are learning that its safe. Babies are eaten by almost everything in the wild and they instinctively know this and seek shelter. Do you have places for him to hide in? A humid hide would be perfect.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As stated pretty normal. Think moss is hard for them to move around in, at least it was for mine and also, mine would try eating it. I switched to coconut coir, so if you see this problem, switch to the coir. Also, if you haven't already, take a look at Toms threads below in my post on raising leopards. The one for sulcatas will also apply.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
That moss in particular looks hard to move around in. But if you get the more fluffy, loose, New Zealand sphagnum moss they have no problem. It's mold resistant also. That's what I put over my tort's sleeping area so she's sure to nestle down there for the night.

Tysleopardglenn

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365642671.079489.jpggetting his soak on

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365642763.834594.jpg completed tank with the humid hide on the right filled with moss... You can see the humidity built up on the glass front... I had 101 on the hot side and 81.7 on the cool side... I just was worried he was hiding a lot

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Two days ago? Baby needs to get used to his new cool digs. When I got my little one, he's 4 months old now, same thing. The soaks were the best. I really think it is like a spa experience and it mellows out tortie anxiety. Their natural instinct is don't be someone's lunch. Like everyone else, keep it hot-humid-hydrated and have his hidey and let him get his mojo. Congrats on your new baby leopard, woo hoo. I love-love-love mine. : )

Tysleopardglenn

5 Year Member
Yeah I had it buried more but he walks around it and moves the dirt around... It's hard to keep buried enough but I try to keep it down... Got it so the cage never goes below 82 on the cool side even at night... I have a 150 watt red bulb for night and it keeps the whole tank hot and humid but he won't use his hides yet... He keeps sleeping in one corner up front by the glass... Is that ok/ normal... Sorry I'm just super paranoid about keeping him healthy when he is so small...

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
When I bought my 1 month old sulcata he did the same thing and seemed to sleep all the time except when eating and bathing. But after a month or so he became very active. I recently perchased a 2 month old leopard and he was quite the opposite. Would be active all the time but wouldn't eat a thing for like two weeks! So in my own personal experience seems quite normal to me and seems you got the hardest part out of your way (getting him to eat)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would also add substrate...so it is deeper. If you are keeping high constant humidity then please do not let the temps drop below 80 degrees day and night....

Status
Not open for further replies.