Lethargic, cloudy eyes, not good.. I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Well today I saw one of my baby leopards with cloudy eyes and he wasnt as active as normal. I saw it walking around during feeding time then I went inside to get more food. When I came back he was upside-down in the water dish. he might of been in that position for only a few minutes. After I fliped him back he walked a little then the lethargy kicked in. I placed him at a spot then a couple hours later he was still there. I gave him a warm soak and he opened his eyes but they were even more cloudy looking and he didnt seem to open one of his eyes. I placed him back then after awhile I came back and he was still in the same position. His temps are cool side 75 and warm side 90. He was eating well yesterday and today it seems like hes gotten sick. He is separated from the rest right now and I really dont know what to do. All my other torts are healthy and this is really the first time Ive experienced a really sick tortoise. I live in Southern San Diego and I dont really know of any tortoise expert vets. I bet there are some I am just not aware of them. How should I tackle this situation? The last thing I want is for my little guy to die. Plese help TFO!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First if you are using a coil bulb get rid of it. Known to cause eye problems. Second the basking spot should be 95+, cool side I would raise to 80 with a humidity of 80+. Keep him warm, while sick I would bump up the cool side to 85. Keep him hydrate, warm soaks twice a day. I would also try to get him to a vet.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Update: This morning I woke up and gave him a warm soak. His eyes opened only a little bit then he closed them. He was trying to walk around but I noticed hes walking on his front elbows and is very very sluggish. Yup something is very wrong here..

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Oh my...I would take him to a vet to have him checked out. Good luck with your little guy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DrewsLife727 said:
Update: This morning I woke up and gave him a warm soak. His eyes opened only a little bit then he closed them. He was trying to walk around but I noticed hes walking on his front elbows and is very very sluggish. Yup something is very wrong here..

I believe a vet visit is needed ASAP. Good luck. Hope all turns out to be miner and he's back to normal in no time. Please keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.