lethargic

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgpenardo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am new to the tortoise world. I have 2 yellow foots and 1 red. My newest baby Duncan is about 5-6 months old. I've never had a hatchling before. He's acting VERY lethargic. I can put him down in his cage and he doesn't move for the rest of the day. Also, I haven't seen him eat lately. He eats fresh veggies and fruit. I've researched their diet and he's right where he should be. But why all the sleep? Is this normal?

Help!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
First off, have you checked that the basics are still good? Like the temps and humidity? Have you been soaking him? How long have you had him?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Have you read the care sheet at www.turtletary.com? Terry has nailed the husbandry down to a simple highly effective system.

drgpenardo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah, I live in NC and it's been crazy humid lately. He soaks some everyday on his own usually and he basks because I lay him in the basking area. I put him outside some but it's been too hot to do much of that either. So I make sure they get Calcium with D every week. He's just been sleeping all the time

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If you have read the care sheet at http://www.turtletary.com then you know he should be on pure calcium But NO D. He will get his D from the animal protein (Pro Plan) So if you are dosing him with D he and feeding him animal protien he may be getting too much D.

drgpenardo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pro Plan? And how much protein? They very rarely get it because my 2 older torts were from the pet shop and they had pyramiding from a pure pellet diet. They're shells are getting harder and the pyramiding has stopped. What else should I be doing?

Also, I give them Cal without D when they get sun time- with D when they can't get out. I'm terrrified to put them outside when it's this hot and humid because we found Gracie the rf with a slimy foam around her neck and face. We assumed it was the heat but maybe she ate something she shouldn't? I was told that Gracie and Rex were about a year old (that was at Christmas) and I've only had Duncan since Mar or May. He was born in Jan I think. I didn't think torts that small needed outdoors all the time so I've had them inside in a massive tank with hay, bark, and aspen bedding. They love hiding in the hay. I guess I'm just lost here but I love my babies and I want them in perfect health and happiness. Everytime I learn something new, I incorporate it.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You really should look at Terry's (RedfootNERD's) http://www.redfoots.com site- it sounds like you may have gotten some old info along the way. For example...
- Pyramiding has been demonstrated to be due, at least to some degree, by too-low humidity.
- Your substrate sounds very, very dry- even with misting. Personally, I do not recommend aspen or hay for Red-foots for various reasons.

An interesting note I learned about Vitamin D- mushrooms often have much more of this ounce for ounce than meats, and most forest-dwelling tortoises and Box Turtles eat fungi in the wild. Since mushrooms are low in most other nutrients, there must be a reason for it in the diet, eh?

drgpenardo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. Duncan died the day after I posted. Gracie-my redfoot- started showing signs that Duncan had earlier. We thought he was just a lazy or relaxed baby. Turns out he probably had parasites. Gracie has them now. He had always behaved the same way since we got him, but then Gracie started acting the same way-not eating, lethargic, etc. Now she's on a 'script and her apetite is growing again. Thank you for the advice everyone. I've used the websites to update some things for my precious babies!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
drgpenardo said:
Thanks for the advice. Duncan died the day after I posted. Gracie-my redfoot- started showing signs that Duncan had earlier. We thought he was just a lazy or relaxed baby. Turns out he probably had parasites. Gracie has them now. He had always behaved the same way since we got him, but then Gracie started acting the same way-not eating, lethargic, etc. Now she's on a 'script and her apetite is growing again. Thank you for the advice everyone. I've used the websites to update some things for my precious babies!

What type of substrate do you have them on? In your original post you stated hay, bark and aspen. These are all drying substrates, and if your "bark" has pine or cedar it is not good for torts.
You asked on 6/26/08 what else should you be doing Check out www.Redfoots.com in the Diet section it gives a good and simple way to feed Redfoots.
Sorry about Duncan and good luck with the parasites.

drgpenardo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah, I checked out redfoots.com last night and found out what that was on Duncan's underside. It was traces of the yolk sack and he never lost his egg tooth. He was in bad shape when I got him. Also, I will be changing to that moss soon (I hope) I need to find it first. I assume it will be at any Lowe's or Home Depot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
drgpenardo said:
Yeah, I checked out redfoots.com last night and found out what that was on Duncan's underside. It was traces of the yolk sack and he never lost his egg tooth. He was in bad shape when I got him. Also, I will be changing to that moss soon (I hope) I need to find it first. I assume it will be at any Lowe's or Home Depot.

It sounds like the yolk sac had ruptured. This lets in all kinds of bacteria, etc. So Duncan didn't have a chance. I'm so sorry you lost him.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I got my sphargum moss (Mosser Lees brand) at Lowes in the orchid section.

drgpenardo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Gracie is doing wonderful now. Her appetite is returning and she's begininning to be curious again. It's the strangest thing though. Gracie (rf) and Rex (yf) have gotten closer since Duncan died. They sleep together now and "snuggle" When Gracie was separated from Rex to go to the vet, they were both so scared acting. They were never like that before. It could even be argued that they despised each other. Now, they're like a family.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Isn't it great when the temps and humidity, etc. are in order - that then they 'come to life'!

Congratulations! What's the old saying? "When it works.. don't fix it"!

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.