Let's define "debatable."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
How come in a forum called "debatable topics," every time there's a disagreement, people suggest that an all out tortoise nerd war is going on, threads should be locked, people given warnings? How about everyone get a little thicker skin, back up their opinions or arguments with fact, and stop whining so much? Is this too much to ask? I don't need warnings from mods every time I say something is incorrect in a debatable topics section.

I don't think personal attacks are appropriate, but pointing out how incorrect something someone said was is not a personal attack. It's a friggin "debatable topics" section. Let's "debate" without crying and complaining. If some people can't handle a civil debate, don't come into the debate forum.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
I usually don't enter debates simply becaue I suck at debating haaha.
People shouldn't reply to something they dont like. Don't take things to heart, especially when dealing with people you don't even know

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what you are specifically referring to, but I generally agree.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
People tend to miss the idea of what debate is I guess. Some people still see it as, sharing each others opinion and moving along. A debate will always or should have an argument and premises to support that argument.. If any of the premises is not sound, it is up for attack, hence debatable. Then the other person should have a chance to rebuttal the counter argument.

I personally love debates. It shows how strong or weak your beliefs and values really are. If people can catch flaws in your argument and you cant refute it and get emotional, then you should question the validity of your own values and beliefs.

chadk

10 Year Member!
fifthdawn said:
If people can catch flaws in your argument and you cant refute it and get emotional, then you should question the validity of your own values and beliefs.

Or at least question your ability to debate ;)

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Mods, Tyler said my skin is thin. lol. Some people don't like to be told they are wrong, thats all. Those are the ones that should stay out of a "debate".

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
lol true. Certain ideas are pretty hard to put into words.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
Roachman26 said:
What is lol? Laugh out loud? Lots of luck?

Laugh out loud. But nowadays noone really laughs out loud when they type it. It just adds flavor I guess. I think alot of people add it to show tone. Since text are pretty ambigous at times, it lets readers know whether ur serious or joking.

chadk

10 Year Member!
It can also be used as way to show sarcasm...

"you are so smart - lol"

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
chadk said:
It can also be used as way to show sarcasm...

"you are so smart - lol"

THAT, my friends, was a personal attack. The mods should get on this guy immediately.... (LOL)

Debates are good healthy fun. There's not a thing that could be said to me or about me that would prompt me to have a mod "speak to someone," or cause me to lose 3 seconds of sleep. It's a friggin internet forum. People talk a lot in internet forums - good and bad, smart and stupid. Take what you can get from it and ignore the rest. Lots of good information comes out in debates, and lots of people lose all credibility in debates also.

For those of you unsure about your debating abilities, it's all about knowing your subject matter, and leaving your emotions at home with your unspecified-sex family members.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Hang on there!!!! Are you saying that I have family members who could have gender identity issues????

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
chadk said:
Hang on there!!!! Are you saying that I have family members who could have gender identity issues????

This time, I had to "unspecify" the sex, since last time, picking a sex made me a sexist.

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
chadk said:

You forgot the "lol", lol:D

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
I don't know the peticular situation that this is about. But I will say that many times people take things out of context and lose sight of what the topic is about. "Most" people tend to stick a on meaningless comment or common phrase and use it to blow things out of proportion. And almost anytime a debate happens and any comment is made about the opposite sex, it tends to come out that if it was a man that said it we are being chauvinistic about that peticular situation. In my opinion we are always wrong even when we are right. But then you ask yourself, if you would rather be right or be happy. I have been in quite a few "Debates" where that is the most common conclusion. Even though my involvement was not to be portrayed as such. It's a losing battle if you ask me. I figure no matter what you do in life right or wrong, someone will have a problem with it. Thats my 25 cents :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TylerStewart said:
For those of you unsure about your debating abilities, it's all about knowing your subject matter, and leaving your emotions at home with your unspecified-sex family members.

Now that really DID make me LOL!

Defiant said:
Thats my 25 cents :)

Wow~inflation!! It used to be 2 cents!

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
emysemys said:
TylerStewart said:

Now that really DID make me LOL!

Defiant said:
Thats my 25 cents :)

Wow~inflation!! It used to be 2 cents!

Thank Obama for that .....LOL :D

Status
Not open for further replies.