"let's Play Barbie"

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-82549.html

the tread above was regarding systematics on tortoises, and I derailed it somewhat with a reference to "let's Play Barbie" tortoise tables. Some one sought elaboration on what I mean by that, so here goes. . .

As a B-TFO thought, you as a turtle keeper back in the day could buy a small red eared slider for $0.25 to $0.50 at a "five and dime" and for a few dollars more could buy a kidney bean shaped plastic 'tank' for about $2.00 more. Those tanks were not intended for a long term pet, they had a little ramp to an island where the turtle could get out of the water, and a little plastic palm tree for .. I really don't no what the intention was.

It was a toy enclosure for people who sought a toy pet, the cheap red-eared slider.

Today you can still buy plastic tanks and use plastic plants, and that can be an excellent enclosure, for example the water land tubs, by simple definition are plastic tanks, and you can use plastic plants. However they are what I would call an excellent enclosure that you can breed chelonians in.

It's not about the plastic, it's about the life the animal will have in the enclosure. Those little kidney bean pools are Ok for a small aquatic turtles for as long as a week, maybe two, if the microclimate parameters around that small plastic pool are good for the turtle overall. They might even be a fun way to give an animal to someone else who understands the ridiculousness of them, and who will promptly put the turtle(s) in a more proper enclosure.

To me a "let's Play Barbie" tortoise table is not just any tortoise table. It's one that reflects a short term enclosure for someone who is getting the animal as a toy. I did not play with GI Joe's as a kid, my sister had a Barbie doll. so that is the source of the sexist POV. When I worked in a pet shop as a young teen, I saw people buy squirrel monkeys on a whim for $750, only to return them a week later as it "didn't work out". Price of the animal is not a barrier to this toy pet phenomena.

I have seen some folks place images here on TFO, and elsewhere, seeking endorsement for the effort put forth, an enclosure that if they do take care of the animal well, will be an appropriate size for a very short time. These often also include plastic plants (not for the tortoises benefit to hide as a plastic palm tree on a tortoise table just won't do that), little walkways, signs indicating where fido sleeps etc.

It takes alot of effort to put that all together and some look like elaborate museum miniatures of a city or something. I find myself scratching my head wondering what will become of the tortoise, as all that effort is not likely to be put aside in a few months for a larger enclosure. And to replicate a museum exhibit or Barbie House probably is not going to happen again and again. I see 'toy' tortoise when I see that.

I use many plastic containers with the art being high utility and life support, keeping things as clean as possible etc. The animals within outshine the utilitarian set up, they are still interesting to look at.

I see what I am no doubt failing to communicate here with this thread, when I see painted dog toenails. I'm not talking about grooming, I'm talking about dolling up a dog, making it a toy. I do know of very old red eared sliders that started life in a kidney bean shaped tank. Of the tens of millions sold though, it is not a wining average.

Dolling up a tortoise with a table that offers about the same utility as a plastic kidney bean shaped pool is "Let's Play Barbie". It is projecting onto the animal something . . . no point in completing that sentence.

If you get what I mean, then you get it. If you don't I'll try to elaborate even more. If you are offended by this, well "sorry, lets be friends" as Barney says.

I hope this prompts better before buying thinking about the animal and it's needs. Tortoise-on.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I asked that question because I do have my animals in tables. They are all babies from as young as three weeks (box turtles) to two year old box turtles and some six month old tortoises in there somewhere. I built a fairly large outdoor area for my Russian adults but I am not at all ready to trust the babies outside full time on their own. I have also been told that full time outdoors is not good for Sullys and Leos. I built everything according to what I learned here and when you made that comment it was a bit confusing for beginners. So thank you for clearing that up. For the record, I use real plants. Lol...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm glad that you have addressed this issue concerning animals and their owners. I think many here on the forum want to do what's best for our torts. We learn what nutritious foods to feed our pets, and proper husbandry, and even how to build various safe and efficient enclosures. However, personal preferences concerning decors or all sorts has always been subjective. Oh, some may argue that in the wild...bla bla bla... I think the statement of "Let's play Barbie" points to the issue of "permanence" or one of "temporary" ownership. Since I said the issue is subjective, I can't say that if someone chooses to dress up their tort's enclosure as if it were some dollhouse, that they would tire one day and, as with old toys, get rid of it. We may see a lot of young kids with live pets do that because, after all, they are kids. But, I cannot say the same for adults. It is totally possible that those who "play" with their torts also love and care for them for their whole lives every bit as much as "serious" tort owners. It is something to think about, though, when contemplating the purchase of reptiles or any pet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I understand what you're saying, Will...but I don't really, totally agree with it. Yes, some new keepers do "doll" up their habitats, but in my way of thinking this only serves to enrich the tortoise's life. Much better to have different things in the habitat to walk over, around and through, than looking out the door in the morning and seeing a whole, great, big barren landscape with nothing of interest in it. If we're talking about a baby tortoise, then the more "doll furniture" you can put in the habitat, the better. The babies feel much more comfortable in a habitat with a lot of hiding places than a big, wide-open space.

So, you're thinking that someone who puts a lot of thought and money into building a little 'city' won't want to tear it all down and build another, bigger one? Maybe not...but hopefully by the time the tortoise needs a bigger home it will be set up outside, where it belongs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, I am inspired by this Will. I am going to name them all, hang signs over the doors of their humid hides with their names, and I am now on the hunt for plastic palm trees and lawn ornaments! I'll bet if I trim the legs down, I could fit one of those pink flamingoes in my closed chamber. Since flamingoes occur in Africa, it would be a totally natural addition for my Geochelone pardalis pardalis enclosure!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
This is the difference between a "Pet" Tortoise owner, and a Tortoise keeper. A pet owner is more inclined to go to the local Petco and buy something flashy but more or less impractical to the care of the animal, versus a Tortoise keeper who shops at Home Depot looking for industrial use and practicality.

I think people can relate this to the Fish hobby more so than Reptiles. A true Fish keeper will have live rock, coral, plants, etc versus a pet owner who has a bubble wand and a resin Spongebob figurine. The people that have been around the block know what you are trying to convey...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
Oh, I am inspired by this Will. I am going to name them all, hang signs over the doors of their humid hides with their names, and I am now on the hunt for plastic palm trees and lawn ornaments! I'll bet if I trim the legs down, I could fit one of those pink flamingoes in my closed chamber. Since flamingoes occur in Africa, it would be a totally natural addition for my Geochelone pardalis pardalis enclosure!

:D I want to see the pink flamingoes and the [PALM TREE]

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
EricIvins said:
This is the difference between a "Pet" Tortoise owner, and a Tortoise keeper. A pet owner is more inclined to go to the local Petco and buy something flashy but more or less impractical to the care of the animal, versus a Tortoise keeper who shops at Home Depot looking for industrial use and practicality.

I think people can relate this to the Fish hobby more so than Reptiles. A true Fish keeper will have live rock, coral, plants, etc versus a pet owner who has a bubble wand and a resin Spongebob figurine. The people that have been around the block know what you are trying to convey...

So...I should remove my resin Yoda and bobble head Mexican turtles from my tortoise pen? They will be missed.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Saleama said:
So...I should remove my resin Yoda and bobble head Mexican turtles from my tortoise pen? They will be missed.

I for one vote you keep them. My personal belief is that most things in an enclosure should be strictly for the tortoise's usage. However those other things that make it "cute" or bring a smile to your face have their place and value. I think those things help draw you to the enclosure and thus do more with your tortoises and keep them longer. They certainly can help to keep other family members interested and amused, even if it's not really the tortoise they are drawn too. To me, so many enclosures are so plain and drab for the human atleast, if not also the tortoise, I can see why the owner may turn away from them (and thus the tortoise). I think you can have practical, while also finding room for something fun.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
This is an interesting thread. I understand where you're coming from, Will, regarding building enclosures that suit the torts's needs rather than the human's desires, but I think you're being a little unfair. Once those basic tort needs are provided for, what's wrong with an enclosure having a little personality?

My enclosures are of the utilitarian variety because it suits my taste and budget, but I enjoy seeing pix of those who have jazzed theirs up for their own amusement. And I don't see why that would be an indicator of someone likely to lose interest or to offer poor care for their torts down the line. Some people are just visual, creative types. With all the ways people neglect and abuse animals in the world, this seems like a pretty harmless pastime. Yes, people should let animals be animals and not anthropomorphize them, but they should also be allowed to have a little fun.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
thatrebecca said:
This is an interesting thread. I understand where you're coming from, Will, regarding building enclosures that suit the torts's needs rather than the human's desires, but I think you're being a little unfair. Once those basic tort needs are provided for, what's wrong with an enclosure having a little personality?

My enclosures are of the utilitarian variety because it suits my taste and budget, but I enjoy seeing pix of those who have jazzed theirs up for their own amusement. And I don't see why that would be an indicator of someone likely to lose interest or to offer poor care for their torts down the line. Some people are just visual, creative types. With all the ways people neglect and abuse animals in the world, this seems like a pretty harmless pastime. Yes, people should let animals be animals and not anthropomorphize them, but they should also be allowed to have a little fun.

Well said!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Saleama said:

I for one vote you keep them. My personal belief is that most things in an enclosure should be strictly for the tortoise's usage. However those other things that make it "cute" or bring a smile to your face have their place and value. I think those things help draw you to the enclosure and thus do more with your tortoises and keep them longer. They certainly can help to keep other family members interested and amused, even if it's not really the tortoise they are drawn too. To me, so many enclosures are so plain and drab for the human atleast, if not also the tortoise, I can see why the owner may turn away from them (and thus the tortoise). I think you can have practical, while also finding room for something fun.

The "fun" for someone like me would be the species I'm working with, not inconsequential trinkets. That is what puts a smile on my face...

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I understand what Will is saying. The marketing of animals can be cray-cray, and it's all done in the interest of sales, not animal welfare. The positive to that is some people become serious keepers in their later years because of that silly memory.

I think both serious and silly is a good balance, as tortoise keepers. I shop Habitat for Humanity's ReStore (love) or restaurant supplies or the farm supply for industrial, heavy duty things that will last long term, and I am on the hunt for Corten steel for future habitat barriers (hard to get as it has a one ton minimum) but every now and then, I do love a little bling or a little whimsy because it just makes the habitat more fun. And fun, while being serious about my tortoises care, fun is fun! : )

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Laughing til I teared...you're too funny Tom.
Tom said:

Seriously, though, I haven't shown my shed to anyone BECAUSE it's so gray, and plain, and doesn't have any of the bling that would make me happy. The reason why I don't have that stuff is because I don't think my tortoises will benefit from it; besides, I have one that would tear it down and have it down his throat. So, you see, I have to be practical and give only what they need, and the shed looks a mess already. But, I will post pics for all to see that I can't decorate to save my life. I bought paint for the upper walls, I bought tiles for the bottom so that they don't start making holes in the cement walls! I have more insulation to put down on the floors, and I even bought a plantation blind for the window. I have cement blocks inside to keep the boys separated, and a heater on the floor surrounded by cement blocks (with the holes opened outward so the heat can get through it). It's built like a fortress, and it's not pretty, not because I don't want it decorated, but because I don't know how to decorate it. Yet, I love my babies to pieces because it's not the decor, or the nice habitat that draws me to them. It's what they are and I love them for that!

ulkal

5 Year Member
So your concern is: will people, who put decoration effort in their first enclosure, ensure that the enclosure will actually meet the tortoises needs or will they be willing to "sacrifice" that beautiful enclosure, when the tortoise has outgrown it.
Well, I could pose the question: why you think that people, who put so much effort into the habitat, would not be ready to build another, bigger, better habitat, maybe with as much chichi, but still providing the tortoises with everything they need.

Please also note that a lot of people with fake plants put them in their enclosure for PRACTICAL reasons, because they want provide hides for their hatchlings, but everything else would be munched away in seconds.

The reason, I am writing is that I think the whole discussion is based on a fallacy, making use of dichotomies whose truthfulness are very questionable. Serious- fun, and analogous, practical-decorated, appropriate/scientific-non-appropriate/pet owner, natural/unnatural.
I do not think this is how it works.

Humans love to create worlds to inhabit, whether immaterial or material. Culture, cities, movies, all places of reference and interaction.
So it seems not far fetched that they try to recreate tortoises living conditions in the "wild" on a microlevel or to create a coherent, pretty enclosure world, even if that is a futile effort Because that is what this individual enjoys (next to keeping tortoises)

You might argue, tortoises are not a human, and I agree. But humans have different styles, preferences. As argued before, some just do not like jazzed up enclosures, others do not know how to decorate that it also meets the tortoises need (this is an important point) Whats with the "serious keeper" who also loves to decorate? Is a scientist with a pet a more serious keeper because he is a scientist?
On the other way round I might ask, how many simple enclosures are born of laziness ( which might also encompass the wish for the practical "because aint nobody got time for that")
Please, everyone with a simple enclosure: this is not my opinion, I just wanted to show that you can argue the other way round. If I got it right, its funny enough that keeping fish is referred to as an argument, where it seems to be serious to do exactly that what is only "playing barbie" with tortoises(trying to mimick a natural habitat)

IMO, the distinction between between "serious keeper" and "pet owner" is hard to make and only results in insulting people, who are serious about pet owning. You see, this is a game we can play on forever. Moreover, species appropriate husbandry given, a jazzed up enclosure isnt an indication for either.

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
"Playing Barbie" and building a good home for a tortoise are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I have a one-year old hermanns who currently lives in a table, but will be relocated to an outdoor enclosure once he's bigger and I live somewhere with a more tort-friendly garden. I've tried to make his table as interesting as possible for him, but I've been able to do that in a way that still looks nice.

I can understand what you mean about "toy pets" though. Since I got Ringo, I've been amazed by some people's views on pet ownership. Some of my friends have been genuienly interested and keen to find out more about keeping tortoises and reptiles in general, while some have said "Wow, maybe I'll get one too and just let him run around the garden!" I've also known people who have taken a similar approach to other animals. It's a real shame, especially when it's not always a challenge to take proper care of a pet.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
EricIvins said:

To be fair, I consider myself a pet owner, not a tortoise keeper, AND I built my own table exclusively from Home Depot... Personally, I like the outside of my enclosure to look nice, especially since it takes up so much space. But the inside is entirely utilitarian. The only cute things in there are the torts.

Not entirely sure why my original thread mushroomed into this discussion, but ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Well I gess I got a real problem cause I'm not a tort keeper or a tort pet keeper
I think my torts are great " people keepers"
Cause I just enjoy the torts

Come on Grandpa. Tell us. Are you rockin' the fake palm trees in your Barbie playhouse tortoise tables?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I guess I'd rather see the "Barbie" style enclosures then those that are plain totes with no hope for a yard because they live in an apartment and have no yard to ever build their torts an outdoor enclosure. In a way, kinda the pot calling the kettle black. At least some of these "Barbie" enclosures have a chance of some day being outdoors or even a bigger enclosure, that's not just a tote.