Let's talk about poop baby.....

SaraT

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
I was wondering if anyone had good advice for what they do for indoor enclosures and poop disposal. I clean up whatever I can in the substrate but the constant poop they have in the bowl caused some plumbing issues last year. Has anyone found a good way to help break down the waste before disposing it? Helping the process?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just grab it up in a paper towell and toss the towell and all in the garbage. There's no need for it to go into the plumbing.

If you're talking about the poop in their water, just open the door and toss the contents of the bowl outside, maybe into a flower bed for fertilizer???

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It goes in my compost bin. The composition of poop of the non carnivorous species is much the same as horse manure.

SaraT

Chicago, IL
Just grab it up in a paper towell and toss the towell and all in the garbage. There's no need for it to go into the plumbing.

If you're talking about the poop in their water, just open the door and toss the contents of the bowl outside, maybe into a flower bed for fertilizer???

The door is down a flight of stairs......not exactly the best place. I am also in Chicago...and not sure everyone would appreciate a poop pile outside, it's a high traffic area :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The door is down a flight of stairs......not exactly the best place. I am also in Chicago...and not sure everyone would appreciate a poop pile outside, it's a high traffic area :)
I live in Chicago. Doggie poop bags. Stick your hand in the bag, grab the poop and turn the bag inside out. Tie it up and put it in the city garbage can. I have six tortoises and it's very easy. You can also use a doggie pooper scooper which is what I do during the summer when they are outside. I put the poop in a jewel bag and toss it in the city can, simple.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
If you have potted plants, then some can be disposed of there as fertilizer. The compost bin is a good idea... I'll have to remeber that... I've just thrown it away unless it's been in the sink when they have their bath... then it just goes down the drain.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
With my adults outdoors. I seldom see a poop unless it's in one of the pools.
The enclosure is heavily planted and has grass in it. The poop just goes back into the soil mostly.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I just throw mine ( well, not actually mine, but the tort poop) out with the rubbish.
The donkey takes it away every morning never to be seen again!