Lg sulcata basking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well I have been watching Tina(81lbs female)..I keep the room temp at 87*F and the basking area at 105*F...She is a late riser and I find she spends quite a long time under the basking light ..(because of her size it only covers less than a 1/4 of her shell...)... Should I install another heat lamp?? I have a 3x3 pig blanket but wonder is I can place it on the hay substrate?? Without issue??

Thoughts opinions????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes I would add a second light.

Is your heat mat on a thermostat? If yes there is LESS of a fire risk with hay on or around it than one that does not have a thermostat built in. Still, I don't think any manufacturer will tell you that its fine to put hay on it, and you know that some hay will end up on top of the mat.

It just occurred to me... where is it 105? At the floor or at the tippy top of big momma's carapace? Be careful. I have a large female whose scutes were burned at the top from that sort of heat lamp arrangement, before I got her.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Open-Topped-Pyramided-Scute#axzz1fGGZdRU2

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I would add the 2nd light also...

I have no experience with pig blankets so I would just go with what Tom said...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Yes I would add a second light.

Is your heat mat on a thermostat? If yes there is LESS of a fire risk with hay on or around it than one that does not have a thermostat built in. Still, I don't think any manufacturer will tell you that its fine to put hay on it, and you know that some hay will end up on top of the mat.

It just occurred to me... where is it 105? At the floor or at the tippy top of big momma's carapace? Be careful. I have a large female whose scutes were burned at the top from that sort of heat lamp arrangement, before I got her.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Open-Topped-Pyramided-Scute#axzz1fGGZdRU2

Tom ..I taped a thermometer to her back while she was under the heat lamp... temp was between 105-108*F.. Depending on room temp(there a 3-4* swing in ambient temp in the room)...Which I'm having trouble getting under control.. Some times room temps hits 90* and everyone beds down.. Once temp drop to 86-87* they all start moving again..

As you and Dalano has recommended I added another basking light...

Status
Not open for further replies.