1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Librarian Looking for Tortoise-Keeping Manuals/Guides

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by Oxalis, Nov 7, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Oxalis

Oxalis Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Michigan
    My library is currently updating their nonfiction collection, replacing some old pet books and specifically asked me about tortoise-keeping manuals. I have not done as much extensive research on this subject as I've personally wanted to yet, but I do know that A.C. Highfield has written some fairly good books that from as much as I've heard on this forum so far, most of his information is still fairly up-to-date. If I'm incorrect on this, please let me know. The problem with Highfield's books is that, I believe, most if not all of them are out-of-print, expensive, and difficult to acquire. Unfortunately, I'm not at home at the moment to go through my own books, but I also have Russian Tortoises by Edward Pirog (TFH Publications) that is a small but fairly current edition (to the best of my recollection). The biggest problem I've seen is a lack of one or a few good sources; most information we keepers pass on is a webpage of text (i.e., care sheets). Many of the nonprofit turtle and tortoise organizations out there do not sell or suggest a particular keeper's manual to new owners (at least I am not seeing them advertising it on their websites).

I searched the forum here and found numerous threads regarding requests for tort-keeping manuals; many people seemed interested in finding a species-specific reference manual. Since I've not had the time to sort through all of these threads, I don't know if anyone has been keeping track of this niche in publishing. Can anyone suggest some credible general turtle/tortoise-keeping books that would be a worthy addition for a suburban public library?

In a quick Amazon search, the librarian found an Idiot's Guide to turtles/tortoises as well as some species-specific editions from "Ben Team", neither or which I'm personally familiar with. If there's anything you see on Amazon that might be suitable, please let me know. Thanks in advance! :tort:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tortoise+manual&ref=nb_sb_noss
    Gijoux likes this.
  2. Oxalis

Michigan
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I also remembered this list, but I don't have the time to go through it at the moment...

http://tortoiselibrary.com/about-the-library/books/ Does anyone see anything spectacular on this page? :confused:
    Gijoux likes this.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    There are no good books unfortunately. All the ones that I know of parrot the same old wrong info. Highfield in particular calls using humidity a "red herring" and equates people who use the methods successfully to people who believe in UFOs. His books are good for kindling if you need to make a fire.
    Gijoux, SPILL and Oxalis like this.
  4. Oxalis

Michigan
    Oh bummer. I was hoping some of Highfield's content was worthy of a look. I was afraid that were no really suitable books. Someone here on the forum should step it up... :rolleyes: Do we have any authors out there?

Thanks again for your invaluable insight, @Tom!! :tort:
    Gijoux likes this.
  5. Beasty_Artemis

Beasty_Artemis Active Member

Oregon Coast
    Unfortunately, I will buy any cheap tortoise book I randomly find for bathroom reading. I never expect quality content per se .
    Look up the chelonian library vol 1 - 4
    The Essentials of Tortoise Medicine and Surgery

Very spendy!!!! Awesome stuff here!
    Gijoux likes this.
  6. method89

method89 Active Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Malverne, NY
    Gijoux, Kipley and SPILL like this.
  7. Turtulas-Len

Turtulas-Len Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
    I have Redfoots & Yellowfoots by Amanda Ebenhack, and Turtles & Tortoises for DUMMIES by Liz Palika that I can donate.Both books are in almost new condition. Just need an address to ship to. The Amanda Ebenhack is a good book even though it's from 2009. The Liz Palika book has good information, but the captive housing of some animals is outdated.
    Gijoux likes this.
  8. Diane Berner

Diane Berner Member

The Redfoot Manual by Mike Pingleton is a good source of information on this type of tortoise.
    Gijoux likes this.
  9. Claireabella1973

Claireabella1973 New Member

Nottinghamshire
    Hello, books are useless and very misleading! Please may I recommend you join tortoise addicts and tortoise plant addicts groups?! They are absolutely amazing!!!! U can find them if u search on FB!!!! Wishing you all the best! I promise,you won't be disappointed!! Xx
    Gijoux likes this.
  10. bluewolf

bluewolf Member

Melbourne Florida
    This sounds great. I just got my first tortoise who is a baby Red Footed. I only have about 3 red foot books, the dummy book so far but think coming up with lists from each of us would be helpful.

I like ‘the red foot manual’ by Mike pingleton best
    so far. I found ‘red footed tortoise’ by Ben Team but is much briefer and very few pictures.

good luck
    Gijoux likes this.
  11. Professor Brenda

Professor Brenda Well-Known Member

Pflugerville, Texas
    I have actually thought I would love to write a book on sulcatas from information gathered from the sources/ people here on this forum. You wonderful experts could send me the info that I compile into a worthwhile book. I would love to do it but I am not an expert.

Regarding books that do exist and are not pipe dreams in my head, I recently bought the Box Turtle Manual by P Vosjoli and R Klingenberg. SO far I like it. Very small book.

I also have Turtles in the US and Canada by Lovich and Ernst $80. That one is more of a herpetology textbook.

I thought Ben Team’s book Sulcata Tortoise Pet Owner’s Guide was absolutely useless. Inaccurate information and too vague.

Let me know if y’all want to contribute to a better text. All credit given, of course.
    Gijoux, bluewolf and Kipley like this.
  12. bluewolf

bluewolf Member

Melbourne Florida
  13. bluewolf

bluewolf Member

Melbourne Florida
    One of my best friends just got a baby Sucata and she loves him. I hope you do write the book. A fascinating breed indeed
    Gijoux likes this.
  14. Tom

Southern California
    I don't know those particular groups, but all the FB groups I've heard of are full of bad info and run by lunatics.
  15. Tom

Southern California
    Species. Not breed. Unless you were referring to the people who like the species...
    Gijoux likes this.
  16. bluewolf

bluewolf Member

Melbourne Florida
    thanks. A big learning curve.
    Gijoux and Kipley like this.