1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Lifespan of Cuora flavomarginata?

Discussion in 'Terrestrial turtles' started by Hbewsher, May 26, 2018.

1. Hbewsher

Hbewsher New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    NY
    Hello!

I have been hunting for an answer to this question and haven't found much. Few pages I found that contained generic info about the species said 10 to 20 years (wild or captive was unclear) and I read one detailed article that also gave this as the expected lifespan for this species ib captivity. I recently watched a clip on Kamp Kenan where he was doing Q&A about this species, and he quoted the expected lifespan and 40-60, more equivelent to North American box turtle species. I wasn't sure if he was mistaken, or if the true lifespan of this species just isn't really known.

Does anyone know if there is a large discrepensy in the lifespan of asain box turtles vs. North American box turtles?

Thanks for any feedback, this has been bugging me for months, I am achingly curious.

-Hannah
  2. EKV

EKV New Member

New York
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I have had my Cuora Flavomarginata for 28 years, and I'm pretty sure she was fully adult when I got her, too.

EKV
    Hbewsher likes this.
  3. Millerlite

Millerlite Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Southern Calif.
    I would guess just like any other species of semi aquatic, 50 years plus? I don't know if there is a for sure answer, EKV is 28 years in and some... but at least 28 years so far... let see who has the oldest. interesting

Kyle
    Hbewsher likes this.
  4. Hbewsher

Hbewsher New Member

NY
    Thanks guys! I appriciate the feedback.