Lighting Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
My Solar Glo bulb is in this fixture. Is this ok or does it need to be in the wire cage fixture?ImageUploadedByTortForum1373659142.558395.jpg

Anyone????

Last edited by a moderator:

Beck

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland/Central FL
The reflector should be bigger and deeper than the bulb to be effective. It doesn't look safe either. I would also change it.

It doesn't have to be the wire cage one. You can get another reflector one like that one, just bigger. They have them cheap at Walmart and home depot. You don't have to get a "reptile" one at the pet store. Just make sure its a porcelain base (the part you screw the bulb into) rather than plastic and its max wattage is equal to or less than your bulb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not a wire cage, however that fixture isn't big enough. You can buy them cheaper at a home improvement store, and at a pet store.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They sell an 11" ceramic based light fixture with a heavy duty cord at Home Depot for about $12. They work great for MVBs.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Ceramic, not porcelain. Don't know why I wrote porcelain. Thanks Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Beck said:
Ceramic, not porcelain. Don't know why I wrote porcelain. Thanks Tom.

I've always called them ceramic, but someone recently corrected me about what it actually is. I can't remember now...

So you might have actually been right anyway. :D

theelectraco

5 Year Member
It looks like you have a fixture that is only rated for 75 watt bulbs but have a 100+ watt bulb in it. This can ruin your bulb and/or fixture.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Take this from an electrician . You need to check the fixture ratings . If you have a one hundred watt lamp you will need a fixture rated for the lamp wattage and amperage. So if that lamp is a 150 watt I would get a 200 watt fixture . So the lamp is up in side of the reflector. If you put a 150 watt lamp in a smaller fixture you will over heat the fixture and open your self up for a big fire hazards . Every fixture has a rating for this reason. Any heat type of lamp needs to be in a porcelain base . Plastic will melt and may start a fire.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.