Lighting for outdoor shed

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Grants Pass Oregon
Ok guys those of you that use sheds in colder climates. What kind of light do you use and how many? If it is insulated and heated do you still need a che? He will have a heated box inside the shed to sleep in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ok guys those of you that use sheds in colder climates. What kind of light do you use and how many? If it is insulated and heated do you still need a che? He will have a heated box inside the shed to sleep in.
Do you need the lights just so that you can see?
Maybe just some inexpensive, hanging florescent shop lights would work.
And no.
If it is otherwise heated, no che are required. They do nothing but produce heat.

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
It will be heated and will be where he spends his time when it isn’t possible to get outside. Was just wondering what combination of light for him and did people also put in lights so they can bask. Thank you for answering

Minty82

Wiltshire
I have basking lamps in my sheds with tubular heaters for ambient heat.

mine will roam in all weathers then return back to the shed

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
i assume from your avatar you are referring to a sulcata. You should provide some light and photoperiod for the colder months, especially. When we put a tropical species in a temperate environment, we sometimes forget about photoperiod, which is very important to overally health. Your winters will have daylight only 9 hours a day. In a prolonged rainy or cloudy period that could seem like continual darkness. A sulcata does best when provided 13 hours of daylight every day. So keeping one requires proper light and heat in the shorter, colder months. Winter should have proper heat plus, basking, ambient, and UVB lighting. When we live in a part of the world that is above 40° lattitunde, in winter the sun only reaches 27° high midday. ON a clear day for a brief time midday, you may get a UVI of perhaps 1.4 that time of year outdoors.

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Thank you Mark, we planned on making sure to have uvb for him and basking on timers like his inside enclosure had. I probably asked the question wrong ??‍♀️ It should have been more what kind of configuration and type of lighting used. I very much appreciate everyone’s kindness in responding and answering all our questions ?❤️