Lighting for rabbit cage for tortoise enclosure

jessrose2001

Location (City and/or State)
Colchester
I currently have a Vivarium for my Hermanns tortoises and I am aware that these are deemed to be unsuitable for them. I am a student and do not have a lot of money to spare but thinking for using a indoor rabbit cage for them. I have seen other people use them and they have been perfectly fine, my only concern is as to how I would fix my lighting in. I already have UVB strips and a basking bulb with a reflector. Photo below shows setup I want to buy.D2AC9962-4AD4-4E84-AE08-92721B2AB029.png

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Seems like a lot of money for what you get & the wire enclosures just seem wrong & don’t work. Why not look into some large “RubberMaid” plastic type tubs? Personally, i would pass on the ”cages”.

Those rabbit cages really don’t provide enough height to work with adjusting/adding various heat & lighting Elements.

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Vivariums are NOT unsuitable. The source that told you that is wrong. The only thing wrong with a vivarium is that no one makes on large enough for an adult tortoise of any species. The concept of a closed chamber (viv) is sound, and nothing works better or more efficiently.

Give this a read: